Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

n00b in need of help

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 08:16 PM
Question n00b in need of help

Hi all,

I am trying to help my dad with his 2007 C230 Sport. He did the bonehead thing of not paying attention to the gas gauge and ran the car dry. He had it towed home and placed in the garage. We added about 6 gals of premium fuel and tried to start it with no success. I went to the 'net and tried to find the proper way to restart after running out of gas...we tried the "turn the key to first position, wait 10-15 seconds, turn it off wait 10 seconds and repeat 3x; then turn it to the second position, wait 10-15 seconds, turn off and repeat 3x" and even the "get in the car and lock and unlock the car 3x" then do the above...still no start...car cranks but will not fire. So I dug a little deeper on the 'net and we decided to replace the Crankshaft Positioning Sensor (might have failed) and still nothing. We checked the pressure at the schrader valve off the fuel rail and with the key on it squirted out well (we didn't have a gauge to accurately test it)...so next we are thinking its the fuel filter. Here is were the confusion starts...according to some info from the web, the filter should be located in front of the driver rear wheel under the plastic guard...so we jacked it up and pulled the panel and could not find the blasted thing...dug deeper and some are claiming that the filter is integral with the sending unit in the tank...so where the heck is this blasted filter??? According to www.mbonlineparts.com it is a seperate fileter (#13 on the attached diagram)...so where is it? Did we miss it and is it further in board or is it in the tank? Please help.

Attached Thumbnails n00b in need of help-c230-fuel.jpg  
Old 01-31-2017, 10:37 AM

Hey buddy, go on youtube and type in W203 C230 fuel filter replacement, shows you how to do it, you will probably have to buy new clamps. Hope this helps, Paulie

Old 01-31-2017, 10:43 AM

Hey Sporta, I was just thinking, make sure the battery is FULLY charged. IF I come up with anything else I'll let you know, let me know how it goes.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by paulies07
Hey Sporta, I was just thinking, make sure the battery is FULLY charged. IF I come up with anything else I'll let you know, let me know how it goes.
Yep, battery is fully charged, pretty sure the Haynes service manual arrived last night at his house so we will take a crack at it next weekend...that's the bad part of him being in CA and me in NV...trying to get schedules to match up so we can tackle it.

Thanks again.

Old 02-02-2017, 11:03 AM

Yes, roger that, I wish you luck

Old 02-15-2017, 01:58 PM

Well...we surrendered for now...last weekend we safely jacked up the car and removed the under pan completely...and surprise surprise...no external filter...but there was a flat spot where one would have been mounted on earlier model years. I finally called Sacramento Mercedes parts department and got the following part numbers: 203-470-5594 (passenger side fuel pump) and 209-470-1394 (drivers side fuel sending unit with supposed filter, I think). See, here is the rub, even the stealership did not completely know which side had the built in filter...he went out to the service bay and spoke with the techs...they just replied that they replaced both and hoped for the best (paraphrasing a bit)...still frosts my cookies that not a single website definitely states something to the fact "part # 203-470-5594 is the fuel sending unit with built in fuel filter". We have had to put the project on hold until we can afford the parts...the quoted price was in the neighborhood of $700 for just the 2 parts...not including taxes and fees...will post more when we get parts and get the beast back on the road.

Thanks again everyone for your help.

Old 02-15-2017, 05:16 PM

Holy crap, you've been through it, did you try Amazon of Rock auto for the parts?

Old 02-16-2017, 05:50 PM

Rock auto was the first place I looked...even they show the wrong info...once I had the correct part numbers, Amazon will pull up the part, but they don't specifically indicate that the part includes the filter integral to either the sending unit or the pump assembly...that is what makes it really frustrating. Also the Haynes manual shows it external as well...