Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BAS/ASR light

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 07:26 PM
Default BAS/ASR light

In my 1999 c230k my BAS/ASR light comes on randomly. and I was wondering if I should get it checked by the dealer. However it is not on all the time probably just like 4 times a month. what is BAS/ASR exactly because I really don't understand the manuals meaning. I just know its something about the brakes. Is there any way i could fix it without going to the dealer (DIY). Any ideas would be appreciated.

Old 03-06-2006, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: BAS/ASR light

does the lamp only comes on when you start to brake?

Old 03-07-2006, 01:02 AM

They both are computer programs.

Actually there are (3) programs, ESP, ASR, BAS. But some cars come only with the last two.

To over-simplify....they are what make up Traction Control, without actually using the term "Traction Control" to avoid some Patent and Trademark.

ESP = Electronic Stability Program...or something like that...keeps the car on intended path

ASR = Acceleration Slip Restriction...minimizes RPM when slip....helps car on intended path

BAS = Brake Assist...apply brakes more forcefully than what you press down...decided by the computer

If and when any of the above computer has to do some actual work, the big exclamation mark ! will light up.

Old 03-07-2006, 07:35 PM

The light comes on randomley and i was wondering how do i get this fixed without going to the dealer.

Old 03-08-2006, 12:04 AM
Super Moderator

that doesn't answer my question.

Old 03-08-2006, 05:46 PM

Sorry to jump in but mine does it when I start the car then later on it goes off while driving! I tried turning the engine off and then on but it stays on. It happens every other rmonth or so on my SLK230K (kind of it has a mind of it's own) but would like to know if this calls for service or doing it's routine checkup?

Thanks for your help on this too

E

Old 03-08-2006, 08:17 PM

rarley comes on when i brake most of the time it is just random.

Old 03-09-2006, 09:03 AM

I ahve the same random problem. tried the easy fix by replacing the brake light switch. Didn't stop its intermittent coming on. Tried another brake light switch. Same thing. Getting pretty frustrated. Also replaced a blown brake light, chcked brake fluid level, tire pressures, now have new tires and nothing seems to kill this critter permanently. Even tried turning off the ESP system and the light still came on intermittently.

Any ideas?

Old 03-09-2006, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

yours could be undervoltage on the steering angle sensor or wheel speed sensor intermittent problem.

best way is to have the fault code memory read, then you go from there.

no need to spend replacing unecessary parts by trial and error.

Old 03-09-2006, 10:34 AM

Thanks Sleepwalker. The code was read previously and it indicated a low oil level indicator was bad. Had that replaced and, of course, since it had n othing to do with ABS/ESP light, made no difference. Will go with your suggestion and let you know how it works.

Quick Reply: BAS/ASR light