General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Multiple Flat Tires & cracked rims!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 11:15 AM
Default Multiple Flat Tires & cracked rims!!!

# flat tires and 2 cracked rims in less than a year. Spoke with numerous other owners, same very costly issue. Found out that MB financial created insurance product for and now makes alot of money off. I am suggesting possible design defect as rims crack under normal driving conditions. Anybody else ? Please respond?

Old 03-07-2008, 02:59 PM
Default RE: Multiple Flat Tires & cracked rims!!!

What rims, what vehicles? I have been driving Mercedes for nearly 30 years and I have never heard of this.

Lawrence

Old 03-07-2008, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

There was a recall way back for the 84' 190d and 190e for cracking rims, but none recently that I am aware of. Yes, please tell us what model and year it is.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:53 PM

I also am curious ofthe applicabilityto which year and model of Mercedes this issue is repeatedly occurring. I have not seen this occur and have not seenforums posting ofmultiple recurring same problems. If there are several car owners of certain MB modelsexperiencing repeated cracked rims and flat tires, hopefullythey share with all of the concern, so we can have awareness of the issue. Thank You.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:19 PM

Hi i'm a victem
i own a 2004 clk500 with 17' amg wheels, and today will be the second time that i might have to replace the wheel, btw the wheels at the dealer costs $900 per wheel and of course its hard to buy just one rim
the first time i was getting flat tires took my car to a tire shop my tire was fine but there was a angle hair crack in the rim it had to be replaced, luckly i had just got my car and the dealership gave me a new rim at no cost (keyes european)
now its happing again diffrent wheel no outside apparence that the wheel is damaged but i have a leak, this time i thought it was the tire and purchased a new tire two days later another flat.
i contacted this company based out of san diego who repairs cracked rims, she informed me chrome wheels can have high corrosion and that the high proformace rim is like glass, but they can be repaired

Old 03-25-2011, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by vdgeraci
# flat tires and 2 cracked rims in less than a year. Spoke with numerous other owners, same very costly issue. Found out that MB financial created insurance product for and now makes alot of money off. I am suggesting possible design defect as rims crack under normal driving conditions. Anybody else ? Please respond?

A few months ago i was driving on a brick road and two of front my rims cracked. dealer wanted $1800 for just 2 rims. unbelievable! a friend then referred me to a shop that repaired his rims before. The only thing i did was ship it to them and got them back 3 days later looking like new. try them out. its the most professional rim repair shop any of my friends have dealt with. RepairMyRim.com

Old 06-13-2015, 10:23 AM
Angry two mercedes....two cracked rims

I've never bought a new Mercedes...could never afford one. But have always believed a used luxury car was a good way to go. But after a cracked rim on a 98 E320 and now a cracked rim on a 06 clk 350, I'm beginning to wonder. I know I've seen at least possible class action for this reason. Anyone else have any info?

Old 11-12-2020, 09:40 AM
Default Very Common Problem due to design defect

Originally Posted by vdgeraci
This is not as a result of your driving, potholes, etc. but due to a design defect with some Mercedes vehicles. I had several damaged front wheels and front tires on my 2018 E43 under typical city driving conditions at 30 MPH. This is due to the fact that the factory installed cast aluminum rims coupled with low profile stiff run-flat tires and a relatively stiff suspension result in the rims momentarily exceeding their yield strength during typical driving conditions and failing by cracking, bending and so on which usually also causes the run-flat tires to be damaged as well. This will continue to happen over and over several times per year because this is a design defect. Mercedes Benz USA refuses to address and own their design defect.

They have basically created and put in the market vehicles with wheels that cannot support the vehicle’s own gross weight under dynamic loading and under typical driving conditions. This is rather disturbing because these very marginal wheels can fail catastrophically and result in loss of life.

Anyone with a similar problem with your Mercedes vehicle please call me at 310-756-2462 and please file a complaint with the NHTSA so that we can have these defective vehicles recalled and properly repaired so that they stop damaging wheel / tire assemblies.

Peter

Last edited by Panagiotis123; 11-12-2020 at 09:52 AM.
Old 01-27-2021, 06:33 PM
Exclamation Mercedes Cracked Rims

Anyone with a similar problem with your Mercedes vehicle please call us at 310-756-2462 OR 510-516-8806 and please file a complaint with the NHTSA so that we can have these defective vehicles recalled and properly repaired so that they stop damaging wheel / tire assemblies. This is a common problem noticed with Mercedes Wheels. This is a safety hazard. We are two individuals who talked over this forum and connected . We are looking for people with the same problem so we can discuss this and plan on next steps.

Thanks

Old 06-17-2021, 11:55 AM
Default Rims - $1300 each

Originally Posted by StupidCuipd
Anyone with a similar problem with your Mercedes vehicle please call us at 310-756-2462 OR 510-516-8806 and please file a complaint with the NHTSA so that we can have these defective vehicles recalled and properly repaired so that they stop damaging wheel / tire assemblies. This is a common problem noticed with Mercedes Wheels. This is a safety hazard. We are two individuals who talked over this forum and connected . We are looking for people with the same problem so we can discuss this and plan on next steps.

Thanks
I will take the blame for the firs rim I replaced but the second makes no sense. How could I damage the rear rim but not the front? I have 19:" rims and maybe the smaller rim would help - thoughts? Should i overinflate my tires?

Quick Reply: Multiple Flat Tires & cracked rims!!!