General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

C230 2000 single wiper "sticking" problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 05:57 AM
Default C230 2000 single wiper "sticking" problem

I've read a lot of the threads about the windshield wiper "sticking", which seems to be a common issue with the single wiper system on the C class. Unfortunately, I'm experiencing it for the second time in two years. The first time it happened, it cost me $700 through the dealer. So, this time around, I'm endeavoring to fix it myself.

I just spent several hours disassembling and examining the wiper system on my 2000 C230 and here's my conclusion: while it was true that lubricating the mechanical parts of the wiper system makes it easier for the wiper blade to make its passes as many have suggested as a possile fix, I believe the main issue is the NYLON GEAR that is being turned by the motor. When I opened up the windshield motor, there were nylon shavings all over the place (which meant the gear was being stripped by the motor whenever the wiper encountered resistance), and I was astonished to see that one of the motor's metal teeth/blade had actual chipped off. I am quite disappointed that such an important and often-used mechanism was not manufactured of better, sturdier materials.

As some have already said, people who live in cold weather where snow / ice develops should beware, as I firmly believe this is the main cause to the destruction of my wiper's motor. Using the wiper when there's snow/ice or anything obstructing the path of the wiper will eventually lead to the "stripping" of the NYLON GEAR in the windshield motor, and result in the "sticking" many people have noted in the forums. In my case, I tried to be much more careful about making sure my windshielf was free of debris before I use my wiper, but the wiper motor still crapped out after only a couple of years.

I guess at this point, the only solution is to find a Benz used-parts shop to replace that stripped NYLON GEAR, or just bite the bullet for the $380 cost of a new windshield motor. I guess that is still better than getting raped for $700 at the dealer.

Anyone know of a trustworthy Benz used-parts shop online or around the chicagoland area???

Old 02-15-2007, 03:09 PM
Default RE: C230 2000 single wiper "sticking" problem

My benz does the same thing once a year when it starts to get cold, u just put some lube on the mechanical gear when the wiper is extended, and let it work itsself in.