General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

94 e320 high idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 01:06 PM
Default 94 e320 high idle

I have a 1994 e320, I had a problem with the idling, it used to rev up and down.... i changed the spark plugs, wires, mass air flow sensor, some vaccuum lines. but now the idle stays high. i tried adjusting it, but it stays the same. in drive its at about 800, and in park it settle at about 1200 or 1300.
it used to be in drive around 500 and park 700.

I read the codes i got:

code 6 in the built in reader
code 8 in pin 8
code 2 in pin 14[/align][/align]I would like to add that during this problem i did play around with the cables adjustments in the engine compartment and at the gas pedal.
when i turn the a/c on, it goes down a bit.[/align]when i first start the car its at about 700 in drive and a 1000 in park, then a few seconds later, it surges to 900 in drive and 1300 in park.[/align][/align]One major thing I have noticed is that when started first in the morning, instead of revving high till it warms up then idle down, it actually Idles at about 900 in park and climbs up as is warms up.[/align][/align]but aside from all that the idle doesnt go up and down on its own anymore, just high idle and spending more gas.[/align][/align]any ideas?[/align]thanks[/align][/align]
[/align]

Old 10-11-2007, 01:03 AM
Default RE: 94 e320 high idle

Hi,
Not to sure about the exact installation on your age E320 and I am unable to interpret your none OBDII codes.

However I can add two points.

Assuming that your E320 is part Electronic Throttle EA then I would suggest that it is the Throttle Actuator (Butterfly Servo) that has part seized/corroded. This is a common problem on vehicles of this age.

Is your Cruise working correctly?

The part mechanical throttle linkage has to be adjusted very carefully since this gives the "get you home" capability. i.e. If electronics fail a mechanical linkage takes over. So that the elctronic system can control matters normally there has to be considerable "movement/slack" in the mechanical system. The mechanical system is not intended to be fully operational...just a get you home so there should be lots of free pedal travel when the system drops down into the mechanical "Limp Home" system.

I suspect that you have adjusted the cable as though it is the idle stop. It isn't intended for this purpose and if indeed idle is set by the mechanical system the elctronics system will object.

Without a car in front of me I can't help much more but I did run through this a year or so ago with somebody.

See what other replies you get. If none then try to get some pics of the mechanism after taking a "careful" look in the throttle actuator.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Stuart

Old 10-11-2007, 05:01 PM

my cruise doesnt work now, and my engine light is on for the throttle actuator.
is there a way you can tell if its working when u open the ignition, like a click or movement?
someone told me all this could be caused by a vacuum leak, or a faulty fuel pressure regulator.

does that make sense?
thanks

Old 10-12-2007, 01:12 AM

Hi,
my cruise doesnt work now.....because you have upset the cable adjustment as I pointed out.

my engine light is on for the throttle actuator.....how do you know its for throttle actuator.

Problems like these COULD be due to all sorts of things.
Vacumn hoses are a very common sourse of problem.
I assume you have already inspected that all such tubes remain in place with no holes etc.

I still stick with my original diagnosis despite not having OBD codes. Confidence circa 70%

Old 10-14-2007, 01:16 AM

I know about the throttle actuator, b/c all the codes I retrieved had to do with it as stated above.
should it make a click or sound when u turn the ignotiion on?
thanks