Wheels/Tires Need custom rims? Have a tire question? Come in and let's talk.

Anyone know about Run-Flat Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 03:54 PM
Default Anyone know about Run-Flat Tires?

My E350 has run-flat tires. If a small nail punctures it, it's suppose to patch up itself. What if a big nail punctures it. Can it also be easily patchable, as with regular tires, ordo I need to replace the entire tire? Hmmm? Please help.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:21 AM
Default RE: Anyone know about Run-Flat Tires?

better way is replace the entire tire if you always drive to out of town, if only drive in the city is no problem, anyway...i just heard about this tire, never heard before. do you have a pic of it?

Old 02-07-2013, 10:55 PM

I dont think they fix themselves. If you dont drive too far with it flat it should be able to be repaired. If you have run flats you should have tire pressure sensors to tell you its flat and get air in it and repaired right away.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:39 PM

Many MB and BMWs come with OEM run-flat tires. My current BMW doesn't even have room for a spare and no jack is supplied.

To answer your question, most run-flat tire damage can NOT be repaired. I've never heard of any tire that fixes itself. When the tire is punctured by anything and loses air, the sidewalls are extremely tough and will hold the car up with no air. Since most punctures are not repairable the only alternative is a new tire. They are very expensive (~twice normal). You can replace a run-flat with a normal tire but you should replace all four at a time.
Lots of people replace their run-flats when they wear out since the run-flat ride is much rougher and the performance is slightly less(IMO) than regular tires.

Old 06-24-2017, 07:38 AM
Default Spare available?

Is there any way of putting a usable spare in the trunk of a glc300? The run flats scare me. Will a GLK spare fit on the car and in the trunk?

Old 12-17-2018, 11:48 AM

it's what kind of tires? Please clarify me dear.

i didn't on that before but have curiosity to know details.

Old 12-18-2018, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by marnus.labuschagne
it's what kind of tires? Please clarify me dear.

i didn't on that before but have curiosity to know details.
Here is a link for more info - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run-flat_tire

Old 02-27-2020, 12:25 PM
Default Owned S550 for 3 years, brand new purchase, changed 3 new tired and 1 rim

3 years old S550, changed 3 new tired and just had a cracked rim and After paying for a brand new Mercedez rim, the shop told me they hv to return the cracked rim back to Mercedez because Mercedez requires all cracked rims to be returned back to the factory, is this true?? Know that other Mercedez owners have similar flat tires and rim problems, any class action lawsuit going now?? It is costing us a fortune to keep paying for new tires and now new rim due to factory defect!! Plse advise what action I can take. Thx

Old 01-19-2021, 08:23 AM

Quick run down.
Run flat tires do NOT repair themselves.
They CAN be repaired, but only recommend your major tire retailers as they are properly trained to inspect the tires BEFORE attempting a repair.
They are typically NOT twice as expensive (compared to other OEM tires not inexpensive brands) as your better quality tires.
If you do switch to non run flats (and only in a set of four), remember you probably do NOT have a spare, and you will want to see if there is a place for a temp to be stored. If not, you've got your phone.
Non run flats will last longer, but only maybe 5k as they are still going to be high performance tires. The ride is typically smoother.

As far as wheels are concerned, the tire and wheel packages are expensive but can be worth it.