Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums

Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/)
-   For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/sale-trade-classifieds-6/)
-   -   FS: Complete Designo Piano black lacquer wood kit w/ sterring wheel GL X166 (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/sale-trade-classifieds-6/fs-complete-designo-piano-black-lacquer-wood-kit-w-sterring-wheel-gl-x166-57140/)

bowtiguy 01-13-2017 10:49 AM

FS: Complete Designo Piano black lacquer wood kit w/ sterring wheel GL X166

10 Attachment(s)
Up for sale is a complete 7 piece Designo Piano Black Lacquer interior wood kit (with LED illumination) for 2013-2016 GL X166 chassis vehicles AND the matching steering wheel w/ paddle shift & lane departure assist. The entire set "may" fit ML (GLE) models too from what I have read but I can not confirm that.

Condition is 9.9/10, there are two VERY minor marks on a two of the door panel inserts that I was not able to capture w/ the camera. Everything was removed from my 2014 GL63 w/ the auburn Designo interior package at 11K miles in favor of brown ash accents.

MB of Westminster, CO. quoted me $6950 for the same parts (uninstalled). $2750 gets everything shipped Fed Ex & insured.

bowtiguy 01-13-2017 10:55 AM

This can be a DIY project. I was able to complete the full swap in less than 6 hrs. The following information should either help you or your installer quite a bit. I used these videos to help me during my install. The radio removal video is exactly as shown, which gives clearance for the passenger side dash piece to be removed. The other videos are for reference. They are other models of MB but are engineered almost identically.

Steering Wheel The easiest step. Does NOT need to be done to replace the dash panels, but it would give you more room to work.

1) Disconnect battery and let sit for 20 minutes before proceeding
2) insert a small torx driver into the two holes perpendicular to the steering shaft to release the two air bag retention springs.
3) Remove air bag by disconnection electrical plug from column
4) Remove steering wheel control electrical plug
4) Back out steering wheel retention bolt
5) Note the steering wheel alignment to the steering shaft ( the internal diameter of the wheel has detents at 12 and 6 o clock)
6) Slide wheel off steering shaft
7) install new wheel
8) Install steering wheel allen bolt. ( torque to 80 Nm)
9) connect steering wheel control electrical plug to column assembly
10) Connect air bag electrical plug
11) press air bag assembly back in place until both retention springs have clicked in place

Radio & climate control. This is an exact step by step to get the radio out of a GL class, which gives you all the clearance needed for the large dash wood trim piece.

Center Console Center console is held in by a total of 4 bolts & 3 electrical plugs. It needs to be completely removed to get access to the 2 screws that hold the Heated/cooled cup holder assembly in place. This too was VERY easy & straight forward once the console is out.

Door Panel . The door panels have a bolt near each door handle behind small covers. The front panels require an extra step to undo an extra screw up by the top-front part of the panel ( see video below). The rest of the panel is held in place by re useable plastic clips, they pop right off giving you access to disconnecting the door handle rods & electrical plugs. Once the door panels are removed, the R&R of the wood inserts is VERY straight forward for each door panel ( just screws & electrical tabs for the LED back lights built into the inserts). The front door panels have a few more screws to R&R the seat controls, but are easy to do with the panels off.