For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Classic 1978 280SL 280 SL

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 05:10 PM
Default Classic 1978 280SL 280 SL

This Euro Mercedes was my father's pet project for several years until he was no longer able to continue its restoration due to health issues. What he told me of the origins of the vehicle was that he had bought the car from the car's original owner, a doctor that had been stationed in Germany and brought the car back with him when his tour was over. My father only drove the car occasionally and on weekends. I also drove it for a short while and itis a great classic car. We garaged it in January or February of 2001 at my father's shop where it remained until the time of his death in July of 2002. Shortly thereafter, the car came into my possession and was towed to my carport here in Ocala. To my knowledge, the current mileage on the odometer is correct.

The car has been started from time to time. Mostly when my cousin, a USAF pilot that was stationed not far from here, would drive up and we'd take her out for a spin. He'd then chastise me for not spending more time (and money on the car. He intended to buy the car from me at different times, but, between his many deployments and other little life events it just hasn't been a realistic possibility. His current deployment is indefinite so I've decided to list it here (with his best wishes .

I know of no major mechanical issues with the car. She had sat for around a year before being started here recently. I took out the plugs and gave a few squirts of lubricant in each hole to get things loosend up before trying to turn the engine over. After sitting overnight, I gave her a try and she truned right over and would even run for a few seconds with a good spray of starter fluid into the intake. I have not been able to get her to start with just gasoline coming from the fuel tank. Fuel pump seems to be ok and is getting 11.5 volts as expected. I'm sure it could be easily overcome by someone more knowledgeable about cars than myself. Seems like it might just be an issue with the old plugs as the car is overdue for a tune-up. The interior is in relatively good shape. I can see 3 small cracks at the center of the dash running from the windshield to the front edge. The original Becker radio was stolen while the car was at my father's shop (go figure why someone would steal a then 22 year old radio that worked only occasionally) and has not been replaced. The wool of the driver's seat has a small to medium sized split right in the middle of the seat.
Vehicle has both hard and soft tops (soft top is navy blue). Both are in excellent condition. Time appears to have gotten the better of the weather stripping on the soft-top though and would more than likely need to be replaced.
Two of the tires were bought two years ago and still have almost new tread. The other two are showing signs of rot on the side-wall and would need to be replaced.

With a little bit of love from a good mechanic this car could easily be brought back to the level of a stylish daily driver. Or, for the more dedicated, a great jump-start for a fantastic restored classic!

To see more pictures and for more information, the car is listed at Google Base http://www.google.com/base/a/4962504...42937937085539

and eBay if you would prefer to participate in an auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ksid=p3907.m32

[IMG]local://upfiles/36076/C4EF77B3A8E641F191B8201D11A9A579.jpg[/IMG]