Private 'Wanted' Classifieds Looking for something? Let us hear it.

1980 300SD Turbodiesel Body

Old 02-22-2007, 12:02 AM
Default 1980 300SD Turbodiesel Body

Looking for a clean 1980 300SD Turbodiesel Body (116), with no (or extremely little) rust, to drop my good engine and/or automatic transmission into. I am located in northern California, my car's super rusty unibody is just about ready to give up the ghost. Sentimentality (it was my father's car, brought from Illinois)is making me want to end up with another diesel.I would prefer to buy acar from an owner who knows the car's history and quirks, so I am not buying into new surprises.

If you've got a pristine car with mechanical problems, and want to see it go another couple hundred K, please contact me.

Karl Beckmann
510-541-2796

Old 03-08-2007, 09:27 AM
Default RE: 1980 300SD Turbodiesel Body

I have more than what you're looking for if interested email me.
1980 300SD. Beautiful Scottsdale, AZ bodied car. I bought this from the original owner in 1995 in Scottsdale. I drove it in the summer her in Michigan and put it in my DRY barn during the winter.
The engine was showing signs of extremly worn valve guides pressurizing the top of the engine, blowing oil out of the top. My son (a certified GM master mechanic) and I pulled the engine and totally went through the thing. I bought a remanufactured transmission and put it in. When we finished the engine it fired up on the first crank. One problem, still the problem, no oil pressure. We looked at everything except for pulling the engine and seeing where the idiots that hot tanked the block left out a oil galley plug they pulled and didn't let us know. The block was magna fluxed for cracks, there were none. Minor hone was done. New piston rings, valve guides, valves, seals, oil cooler, oil cooler lines, checked crank for cracks and straightness, ok. So many new parts I don't even like thinking about it. This was 4 years ago and it's been sitting since then. I know more than you wanted to know. Body is dark gray metalic, tan interior. Great tires, brakes, good interior, outstanding body, no rust. No sunroof to leak and make rust. I now have cattle and could use the room in the barn for more tractors and cattle stuff. I have many pictures of the engine rebuild, polishing, painting engine parts, pictures of the car. If your interested in coming to Michigan for this jewel let me know and I'll send you pictures. I won't give it away but I would like to see someone like you make good use of all our work and give the car a life. A hotrodder offered me $1900.00 for the body because he wanted to drop a big block in it to make a sleeper, I said no.
Ed