Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums

Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/)
-   Other (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/other-25/)
-   -   New Member Requiring Advice (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/other-25/new-member-requiring-advice-54282/)

BarryT 01-16-2014 11:28 AM

New Member Requiring Advice

Hi all,

I'm contemplating going for my first ever merc, it's a 1972 220 4 cylinder petrol automatic. I've been an exhibitor of vintage and classic machinery for a number of years and now keen to purchase my first classic car. The 220 has 48k miles on the clock and has done virtually nothing for the last 12 years. Dry stored in a garage and since 2001 has only been out of the garage to have an annual mot regularly up to 2007. I have only see photos so far but I'm quite interested, it looks in good condition inside and out with no visible rust from the photos. I would really like to know how much this vehicle is worth. Has not run for the last 6-7 years so fuel system would need cleaning out prior to firing up so I would be buying as a non runner. Can anyone help me with the price before I arrange to see the car.

Regards

BarryT

BarryT 01-24-2014 08:49 AM

Hi,

I thought there may be someone who could give me some advice here??

BarryT

E350Wagondriver 09-19-2016 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by BarryT (Post 165454)
Hi,

I thought there may be someone who could give me some advice here??

BarryT

Guessing you are in UK?

daemdaem 09-19-2016 06:10 PM

Hello, Yes there are folks on here that may be able to advise. This is mine, I live in Northern Canada. Where I live road salt kills car bodies. I have fixed a few. I owned part interest in a auto salvage yard and many vehicles were scrapped due to salt corrosion.
!970 /80/90 vintages are hard to find rust free here. We do not know your mechanical or panel beater repair skills. Careful of hidden rust. Low mileage rust can be hidden.
Secondly after your first look over, an hours time with a journeyman Mercedes mechanic is a good idea. I bet there are a few retired near you if you ask about. Allan

billyjohn 04-16-2024 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by BarryT (Post 165390)
Hi all,

I'm contemplating going for my first ever merc, it's a 1972 220 4 cylinder petrol automatic. I've been an exhibitor of vintage and classic machinery for a number of years and now keen to purchase my first classic car. The 220 has 48k miles on the clock and has done virtually nothing for the last 12 years. Dry stored in a garage and since 2001 has only been out of the garage to have an annual mot regularly up to 2007. I have only see photos so far but I'm quite interested, it looks in good condition inside and out with no visible rust from the photos. I would really like to know how much this vehicle is worth. Has not run for the last 6-7 years so fuel system would need cleaning out prior to firing up so I would be buying as a non runner. Can anyone help me with the price before I arrange to see the car.

Regards

BarryT

as cheaply as possible :D