Other Post discussion on all other models not listed above here.

300TD Hits Big Fat Raccoon

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 07:22 PM
Default 300TD Hits Big Fat Raccoon

<FONT color=green size=3>Travelling down Hwy one the other night about 130miles north of San Francisco I hit a big fat raccoon that someone whacked before me. It was right in the middle my lane on a bridge. Oncoming traffic prevented me frpm manuveuring around it so it had to hit it dead on at about 60 miles an hour. It was a pretty good knock and I didn't know what happened but I could hear something dragging on the road after the hit.I couldn't tell if theraccoon was still there or if somethingfrom the car was making the sound.The car seemed to operate ok.I pulled overto check to see what it was and found somethinghanging down and lodged under the car (at least the raccoon wasn't there, ouf). I couldn't get it free, but I was only about 4 miles from home, so I just took it easy and went home. The next day Ijacked thecar up and found out what happened. The low stance of the car couldn't clear the poor creature andthe impactripped the bottom frontsound encapsulation panel from under the engine.</FONT></P>

<FONT color=green size=3>Before I pay for a new one, anyone out there have an 87 diesel with the front under panel intact and in good condition?I understand after talking with a few knowledgeable people that the panel Ineedhas to come from a 300TD wagon orpossibly a 300D sedan. I'm new to this forum and I figure lets find out if there are otherBenz owners out there with older cars that keep them up, and are online at this forum.</FONT></P>

Old 04-14-2004, 08:26 PM
Default RE: 300TD Hits Big Fat Raccoon

I got me a live possum a couple of nights ago. It darted out of the woods and stopped just ahead of my left-side tires. I couldn't do anything to avoid it. Thump-thump. There's still some URP there.

URP = Unidentified Road Pizza