Other Post discussion on all other models not listed above here.

200 series - need some advice

Old 02-11-2006, 09:11 AM
Default 200 series - need some advice

Hi Folks. Well i am new on here and know nothing about mercs, especially old ones. My great uncle owned from what i can remember a 200 series(?) early 80's model. All I know is that it looks identical to 280 se's etc ive seen on the internet. Anyway, he passed away some 11 years ago and transferred the car to his son, on the recent death of his son it appears the car has been sat garaged for the past 11 years untouched (i havent seen it or have no details but must assume it was just left there). Basically i would quite like to obtain it and want to know what kind of problems it may well have to be dealt with if it has been simply parked up and left for this length of time??

Old 02-14-2006, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 200 series - need some advice

This can vary. Of course the tires are probably shot. And if there was fluid in it, it probably have to be all changed components. If it's a pretty good sealed garage, there shouldn't be not too many problems but check the rubber components. Rust can be a problem if high humiditity and there was some on the car when it started to sit. Also if needed a "tune up" won't hurt. And of course a new battery but that's common sense. It all depends on how well the garage is sealed, the condition of the garage and a little luck. Also any problems, if any, the car had 11 years ago might still be there.

I've seen cars from the fifties that's been sat and garaged since the seventies come out in pristine condition besides the tires and fluids. You may have a good preserved car on your hands after you knock the layer of dust off of it.

Old 02-15-2006, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 200 series - need some advice

Mice might be in it and if mice have been in it it may have gotten snakes in it so watch where ur putting ur hands. When i was 10 we got a 48 chevy that had been setting since 1986 so it was setting 9 years in North Carolina it was a i owner car solid-no rust too bad it was a 4-door sedan so it was not really worth much. But the interior was like new cause the seats had been covered since new. Then my parents got divorced six years later sp we never got a chance to restore that one.