Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes here. Keep it clean.

extended warranty needed! please help

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 05:04 PM
Default extended warranty needed! please help

so i have a 2001 slk 230, and my factory warranty is about to expire. since i wasnt the original owner, there is no option for an extended warranty from the manufacturer (as far as the dealer tells me), so i have decided that i need to look for a third party company to geet an extended warranty through. has anyone had any good or bad experiences? anyone have any suggestions or recommendations? any help would be great!

Old 05-12-2004, 07:48 PM
Default RE: extended warranty needed! please help

I have a suggestion but I think you don't want to hear it. Don't buy one. Save your money. Use it if you need to but not until then. All extended warranties are a rip. It's been proven by consumer advocates over and over and over and over again.

Old 05-12-2004, 08:15 PM

normally, i would agree with just saving the money, and waiting, but i had a really bad experience with my last car. it was a bmw, and 3 months after the warranty expired i blew the engine. the dealership wanted $2k to open the engine and just diagnose the problem. The problem ended up costing me around $9k total. so after that experience, i dont mind dropping 1500$-2000$ for an extended warranty if it is really a reputable one.

Old 05-12-2004, 09:23 PM

I never had a bill like you faced, but twice I filed a claim for reimbursement from an extended warranty I had a long time ago. Both were denied even though it was clear as day to me that the items were covered. You'd be better off taking out a legitimate loan to pay for big ticket items, if you need it. How many engines are going to explode on you right as the factory warranty expires? The first one wasn't your doing was it? If it was, get a warranty.

Most require you to pay for the repair first and then get reimbursed, so you have to have the money on-hand anyway. If it costs $2,000 to open the hood of your car and before any repairs are even started, who will sell you a warranty for $1,500?

Just be extra careful if you do buy one and make certain you're getting what you think you're getting. If it sound too good to be true, well, you know.

Old 05-12-2004, 10:45 PM

im definitely being careful. i talked to a service guy at the local dealer today, and he said pretty much the same thing. he said you really need to watch out, but is going to help me. he told me that if i found some that looked decent to bring them in, and he would go over them with me. i think this is in my best interest, because hes really going to be looking for the best policy for me because he wants to be paid too. we'll see what happens.

Old 05-16-2004, 03:47 PM

if you always blow your engine ....better buy it ...it real work ...but some times take a few days more for fixing ,because they have to make a deal with the shop and the insurance company .if you send back to dealer to fix and the dealer will rip you and that company at the same times....hahaha