Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes here. Keep it clean.

Stainless exhaust for my 190!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator
Default Stainless exhaust for my 190!

was shipped today, and should be here by the end of the week....as long as the delivery truck doesn't get robbed or runs out of gas.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:34 PM
Default RE: Stainless exhaust for my 190!

I thought you had a CLK? Did you just get a 190? What 190?

Old 10-03-2008, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

Hi C280sport,

It is my old 1990 190E 2,6 I bought back in 1989; I never traded it in, so I still have it.
I still have the CLK too, doing great.

Blue

Old 10-12-2008, 11:21 PM
Super Moderator

What type of exhaust? Is it a straight pipe DTM?

Old 10-17-2008, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

I used to know a team that raced on Hockenheim back in the 90's but I was interested in the GTP, then WSC, purpose built cars. MY 190 has always been pampered and spoiled as a personal car, and I would never think of lightening it or racing it.

I bought a German custom stainless reproduction of the stock exhaust system. It looks exactly like the stock MB plainsteel system, and mounts exactly in the same mounts. Unlike a racing pipe, the system still has CATS and silencers. There are a few notable differences, obviously one being the bright shine of stainless,tig welded seams, and they apparently took the liberty of running two pipes all the way to the end instead of having them converge into one like the stock.I haven't installed it yet, but I am hoping that the systemwill not sound too loud or "tinny" like Ferraris with stainless pipes. My reason for stainless wastoresist corrosion, notfor racing.

Interestingly, I cut the old system apart to find out why it was so heavy and corroded. Inside the muffler were rat and snakebones, abouttwo dozen roasted nuts, and about a pint of carbon powder. No wonder the car smelled like"Chinese Cashew Nut Chicken" every time I drove it. Ok, so now it just smells like MB tex, which is good, and I'm not hungry when I get home.

Old 10-18-2008, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator

LOL

Now that's something different! I wonder if they were fried by the exiting gasses or died of carbon monoxide inhalation? Stainless was a great choice

Old 10-19-2008, 03:08 AM
Super Moderator

Completely evaporated. Yes, it sounds crazy. Although I never actually see or catch any mice, it shows that animals are snooping around the property. So I shouldn't leave the cars outside overnight when I'm using the garage for workspace. I need a screen in the tailpipe. Who would ever foresee a problem like this? The new pipe is so much cleaner; the performance will likely improve.

Old 10-26-2008, 05:45 AM
Super Moderator

Wow, a word of advice if you guys go stainless. The full dual exhaust to the rear does in fact actually fit nicely. The stainless is more rigid and very difficult toline upthe header pipes to the manifolds because they do not flex as well; good grief I must have burned 8000 calories installing it. The sound is "sporty" and "tinny"which I am trying to get used to. It's quiet at lower RPMs, but when you press hard on the throttle, it sounds like a Modena.
I actually did NOT want the Modena sound, but I suppose it is a property of the stainless tubes; will drive it for a while and see if adjustments need to made. It really looks clean though. It makes the underside of the car look brand new.

Blue