Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes here. Keep it clean.

Question about auto insurance

Old 11-09-2008, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator
Default Question about auto insurance

Our Honda vehicle was stolen.

It broke down in Kingsport TN, and someone was supposed to buy it, but instead it disappeared. It was last seen at the Honda Dealership in Kingsport TN.

We filed a police report with the police department, but the officer said that the car has likely already been stripped or crushed.

We did have full-overage on the vehicle, but wonder, given the nature of American insurance, if filing a claim would result in a major rate hike for us.Like any insurance here in the US, we know we will become the enemy, instead of the customer, the minute we file aclaim.

What are your experiences?

Old 11-09-2008, 10:25 PM
Default RE: Question about auto insurance

Was this a newer Honda or one with like 200k on it that you where going to get rid of? Either way I am sorry to hear about this.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:53 AM
Super Moderator

It was our 2000 Honda Odyssey, the one that left us marooned in TN. It had approximately 140k, so not a major loss, but a loss and a theft none the less.

We had made arrangements to sell it to a salvage company for $1000, but the car dissappeared, and the salvage company we called in the phonebook, will not return our calls or meet with us, so we sitting here holding a car-less title; we reported it to the police.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:12 AM
Super Moderator

Law enforcement informed us that TN is the chop-shop capital of the country, and is a very bad place to have a car break down, and it is likely that the vehicle has already been crushed. But it doesn't change the fact that I don't go around buying cars for people to steal them. We were expecting $1000 for the vehicle.

Now on the insurance, we had full coverage on the car including theft. The trick is, we have already been victimized once by the crime, but now to make a claim my concern is if the insurance company reimburses us for whatever the loss is, that they will punish us for filing a claim by raising our premium far more than the actual claim. This by the way, is my experience with insurance in the US, which makes me wonder why people have insurance at all. Now I suppose I could wait around for whoever has the vehicle to volunteer to look us up and pay for it, but I doubt that is going to happen.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:35 PM

Here's the thing.. When your vehicle is stolen it is not your fault so your rate will not go up. Filing multiple claims may come into affect "but" it will be based on length between occurances. As long as you have the police report and I think it's after 30 days if the vehicle has not been recovered they will pay out or pay off a loan to a certain percentage based on market value. I had twomotorcycles stolen and my rate never increased.Keep in mind though that some insurace companies will drop a policy if they deem the person a risk (multiple claims).

Old 11-14-2008, 03:16 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks melloc,

The car broke down in another state, on the side of the highway, 450 miles from our home. We had no choice but to call a tow truck from the phone book. The truck driver stated he would buy the vehicle and give us cash when we brought him the title.Now, no one will tell us where it is, meet us, return our calls or messages. Its just gone. We have not seen it in I suppose 30 days, don't know where it is, and reported it stolen. I suppose that is considered stolen isn't it.

Our entire Honda experience has surrounded with nothing but crime and deceit anyway, now it ended like this. Even our Honda dealer here is creepy. The last brake pads I bought, I called and asked how much for front brake pads, and was told approx $75 on the phone. I arrived at the counter, and the parts guy told me they were over $100. I reminded him, I was told $75 on the phone. He said, "ok $75 then"; I handed him a one hundred dollar bill. He put the bill in the till, closed the drawer, handed my parts, as if I would forget the change. I said, " you forgot my change". Without breaking eye contact, he reached into the till and slowly slid a ten across the counter like it was a friggin poker game. I demanded proper change, started looking around for another manager, and then he put the rest of the change on the counter. It's just always like that with them.When we bought her next van we didn't even look atthe honda. Its a shame too, because the cars are basically good. Its just the dealer, and the service, and the thieves, that ruined the over-all experience for us.

Old 11-14-2008, 03:43 PM

Well in your case it would seem pretty obvious where the vehicle wentbut again you will have to prove it so you did the right thing and just reported it stolen. Hondas/Acurashave ahightheft rate here in Cali so the insurance companies sometimes charge a higher rate based on the model and features. Rates are also based on zones (city/neighborhoods) as well based on theft risk in that specific area. I experianced the same feeling about dealers or even the service mechanics with my bikes. I took my bike in for servicing and made the mistake of putting my original address on the service order which is[/align]a BIG MISTAKE. My bike came up missing a week after but it's simply hard to prove. [/align]

Old 11-14-2008, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, like the seargent said, we'll never see it again. Somehow I believe him. The rotten thing is it was paid clear too.

Your bike: I hate to hear that it went missing. The thing is, the person that took it will always be nothing more than a $5 theif in society and they know it.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:27 PM

I agree as Karma is a son of a "B".

Old 03-21-2022, 09:36 AM

Right so i recently found out i qualify for emissions claims i didn't realise this was a thing until i actually got qualified seriously worth looking into thought i would share this information. https://www.emissionsclaimcentre.co.uk/mercedes-4