Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes here. Keep it clean.

Hummer H1 or Mercedes G-Wagon

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 06:42 PM
Default Hummer H1 or Mercedes G-Wagon

Seattle, WA

I am in a dilemma between the Mercedes G500 and the Hummer H1. The G500 has its benefits as it was more street practical in Seattle and the brand itself - Mercedes, which symbolizes class & status. On top of that, it is exclusive and a rare SUV that carries the Mercedes brand.

The G500 seems to have a lot of mechanical problems. So I have heard and saw. I've test drove a G500 and there were so many blinking lights and non-operating mechanics in the interior. I despise wasted trips to the dealerships for service & the chunk of money that goes with it- $1,500 for a tune up. Is this a factor?

The H1, however, couldn't be surpassed as far as street presence and appearance. It is just too pretty and monstrous (at the same time). It is easily recognized due to its years at war. I'm looking specifically at the White Soft Top with Tan Interior.

Anyways, I am in Residential Sales and Image Power is important for my current plans for wealth building. Which would you recommend for power, status, and influence? The G500 or the H1?

I currently drive a Pearl White '04 Cadillac Escalade. It's a nice Luxury SUV, but it's annoying when I see many other people driving the same car on the road (especially soccer moms)

I hope to receive your advice and share of knowledge soon. Really need to make a decision.

QT from Seattle, WA

Old 07-01-2008, 10:26 PM
Default RE: Hummer H1 or Mercedes G-Wagon

I currently drive a Pearl White '04 Cadillac Escalade. It's a nice Luxury SUV, but it's annoying when I see many other people driving the same car on the road (especially soccer moms).
Ha Ha I love it. My wife says that all the time and thats why she will nevr buy an SUV. I know you are worried about issues. Everyone is. But to be true with you I have owned GM Suvs and Mercedes at the same time and I going to the dealer far more times for the GM then the Mercedes. You can have issues with any car. I would recommend getting it inspected realy well. My opinion: Forget the Hummer. Its Big, Ugly and Slow like most American Suv's and those are a dime a dozen(at least where I live) They are mostyl drivin by soccer moms. I drove a friend of mines Hummer H2 and I thought it one of the worst cars by far that I have ever come across. The interior was bad. Looks cheap, I was affrid to pull out in traffic with it becasue of how slow it it. Also when I floorded it the gauge said 1mpg 1MPG!. WOW. I would say get the G Wagon. Hands down

Old 07-07-2008, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Hummer H1 or Mercedes G-Wagon

I have heard of horror stories with the G500's faulty interior ranging from all four door handles snapping off, to seat motors continuously dying. It's a great SUV and will command respect anywhere you go, but I would suggest the Hummer (turbodiesel, in black, wagon format,if you can ). There's more you can do with it too considering the interior's from the stone age.