Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums

Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/off-topic-7/)
-   -   CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL THE KIDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE 1940's, 50's, 60's and 70's !! (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/off-topic-7/congratulations-all-kids-who-were-born-1940s-50s-60s-70s-17095/)

AMGMercedes 01-02-2007 09:35 PM

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL THE KIDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE 1940's, 50's, 60's and 70's !!

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL THE KIDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE 1940's, 50's, 60's and 70's !! (And before)

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.
They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a tin, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cots were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.
We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking .

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.
Riding in the back of a van - loose - was always great fun.
We drank water from the garden hosepipe and NOT from a bottle.
We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.
We ate cakes, white bread and real butter and drank pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because......
WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.
No one was able to reach us all day.
And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes.
After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem .

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no text messaging, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........

WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents .

We played with worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

Made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we did not poke out any eyes.
We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Local teams had tryouts and not everyone made the team.
Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of.
They actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.
We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them!

CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.
and while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!

PS -The BIG type is because your eyes are shot at your age

mbz300sdl 01-02-2007 10:00 PM

RE: CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL THE KIDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE 1940's, 50's, 60's and 70's !!

My parents were born in 1954 and 1955 so they did enjoy it. Mom grew up eating ground hog and squirrel. My parents grew up not than 10-15 miles from where u live Matt.

Well i was born in 1985 and am glad to say that i was raised in that environment mostly. Never had a game system, did ride in older cars without seat belts.

And i was outside playing funny how i now am at the computer alot however when its warm my online time drops dramatically.

Sad part is these are the parents of todays generation of children and the lawmakers that have made this impossible for most of todays children dont they realize what they are asking there kids to give up?

So they got to enjoy it while there children or maybe grandchildren cant!

AMGMercedes 01-02-2007 10:26 PM

RE: CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL THE KIDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE 1940's, 50's, 60's and 70's !!

It's sort ofsad to see some of it go.Seeing today 'sexual harrassment' in Kintergarden (newspaper), no tag in middle school because it's too dangerous, safety scissors, people thinking they must have healthcare out of fear, cars with like 80 billion airbags yet they're made out of cheap materials (unlike some older cars), hand sanitizer galore and not developingimmunity, calculators (because we're getting stupiderer), etc.

mbz300sdl 01-02-2007 11:06 PM

Seeing today 'sexual harrassment' in Kintergarden
not being able to spell kindergardern

I know i can't spell either go look at some of my other posts

AMGMercedes 01-03-2007 12:20 AM

Lol. I think the germans spell it that way, I guarantee it's not an english word though. Also not the best speller out there. [sm=smiley4.gif]

sleepwalker 01-03-2007 04:20 AM

me and lugnut also talk about similar topic http://https://mercedesforum.com/m_6080/tm.htm

Charles Munn 01-04-2007 06:52 PM

Well, I'm one of those old dudes who managed to enjoy the library, painting andpoetry and buildingvarious structures,as much as Ienjoyed :Dgirls, boxing and other competitive sports... But my eyes are still wide open, and I'm very aware of the large number of today's young people who totally enjoy outdoor activity...

I'm particularly impressed with skateboarders andall of the other sports which seem to be inspired by it, such as snowboarding, and gravity defying motorcycle stunts, etc..
Istrongly suspectthose same young people are also very adept with the computer and probably, much like it was when I was growing up, not too interested in reading... But geeez, their timing and quick reactions are a wonderful thing to see... and not for a minute do I believe my life was somehow superior to theirs, or that they've misssed something...

seagreen12 01-05-2007 03:19 PM

you know I have to put my .02 in here, I complain to my wife daily about the life my kids live, although they seem to be blissfully unaware of any thing not normal or normal for me.
We live 2 blocks from the school and she wont let them walk to it kids are 7 and 11 both smart and fairly cognizent of traffic! We live in a small beachside community and have a whole ocean but I can barely get them to it, of late my seven year old has been interested in fishing so I go out with him to the ocean and rivers. But my wife insists on carting them all over for "organized activity" and exppensive holy cow, I am a child of the sixtys a military brat and spent my formulative years in the woods- didnt play organized sports until high school and then at that point i couldnt stand the adults running it...
I went to a kids party (thats a whole nother subject) with my 7 year old none of them (kids)knew how to play games it was crazy I taught them water tag- Marco Polo and dodge ball for christ sake! and 500 they really enjoyedthat the parents that had the party had nothing planed just a bunch of kids sitting around waiting to get a party bag and Pizza. I had just gotten back from a gig in Afghansitan where i would see kids playing with sticks and old bike rims with no spokes in it (and AK 47s) so I was kind of like in culture shock.

My kids love TV and Computers and I admit the internet is as addictive as it is informative and for work if I am not humping through a mountain its seems I am using it for research or what not , but my kids will sit all day playing nintendo or game boys or playstation, my wife got me a game for xmasNavy Seals something or other and its neat as far as mission planing and what not but my seven year old kills me all the time its just not the same as real life! LOL!

Hopefully they get a clue but judging from my wifes sibblings 8 kids (17-24)its pretty damn scarry one of the 17 year olds couldnt check the oil on his hotrod Honda!.

But i agree with the original post we survived hopefully our kids will too!

Well thats my rant...

mbz300sdl 01-05-2007 03:38 PM

Iagreewith you like i said i am 21 and my one friend when he got his drivers license at age 16(5 years ago) did not know how to get to school!!! Luckily his one year younger step-brother did. When i was 11 in 96my dad bought a 48 Chevy guess what i did that summer i helped him disassemblethe car scrape the over 40 years worth of grime and grease off the frame, polished the chrome trim, helped as i could with unlocking the engine also this same summer my parents were also working on restoring my moms 66 beetle. I had alot of fun doing that.

its pretty damn scarry one of the 17 year olds couldnt check the oil on his hotrod Honda
Sad!!!

When i was 7 i started to mow the grass with OMG a non-self propelled push mower. I learned how to drive on a farm tractor and a Subaru when i was 10. I used to love being outside as much as possible but now i get cold easy due to a medical condition but if its warm i am outside. Its raining today so i will be inside mostly but tomorrow it is going to be aorund 60 in maryland in January dont expect me to be online during the day!!!

seagreen12 01-05-2007 04:08 PM

I hear you In the summers I got sent to Kansas to work on a farm
It sucked but in a good way...
I learned to work on my cars because my dad gave me a junker when I was 15 sid if I wanted to drive it I would have to get it running
I was allowed to use his tools but had to clean them and put them back those lessons have stuck with me and I clean all my tools daily.

Hey mbz 300sdl u still got the Dodge trk?I tried to get to the link where the pictures are but only got too a thread I am interested i have owned and own several old dodges.