New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

New member needs advice!!!

Old 08-05-2005, 12:42 PM
Default New member needs advice!!!

Hello everyone...

I just wanted to say hello. I own a 2002 MB C240, but I am debating on purchasing a 2004 MB SL500. However, there is a catch...the SL500 I am looking at was in a wreck (totaled), but now it has been all repaired to new condition. Any advise would greatly be appreciated! I would be buying it "As-Is" with no warranty, would you do it? One other thing to mention, it has a "Salvage Title" but like I said it's been fully repaired, but you never know. WHat would you do? What should I look for when inspecting this car? I plan on taking it to the MB Dealer for an inspection prior to purchasing it. Does anyone know if I can buy an extended warranty to help ease my mind? Please help!!!

Thanks...Dre83

Old 08-05-2005, 12:55 PM
Default RE: New member needs advice!!!

"...would you do it?"
__________________________________________________ ___________________________________
No!

Old 08-05-2005, 12:56 PM

I wouldn't buy a car with a salvage title. That would be a sucker's bet.

Old 08-05-2005, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

Talk to your insurance carrier and they will tell even worse news about salvage titles.

Old 08-05-2005, 05:15 PM

Vehicles with Salvage titles should be priced around half of what the blue book rate is. And in some cases not even that much.

As far as trying to "see" if there's anything wrong with it....... I used to work at a place where we would take two totaled cars (front of one rear of the other) and cut them both in half and weld the good front clip and the good rear clip together and you could never tell. That is unless you ripped out the carpet and saw the weld joints. (which were still hard to tell from the original factory welds, just a bit fresher). So upon inspecting the vehicle you may not visibly "SEE" anything wrong with it.

So my .02 cents worth is this.

Unless it's a "SERIOUSLY" Smoking Deal and you NEVER plan on selling it again, you are probably ok.

Me? Personally I wouldn't do it. I sell my cars waaaay too often to have to worry about a "salvage title" screwing up the deal to the next guy. Because believe me, it WILL indeed screw up the sale of it.

Good luck and let us know what happens if you get a chance.

I've been looking at those cars too, so I can feel your excitement, just don't let it get the best of you.

Old 08-06-2005, 11:48 AM

There is no such thing a totaled car that is fixed to brand new, run don't walk away.

Old 08-11-2005, 08:40 PM

The first thing you need to do is find out why the car was a total in the first place. How much damage was done to the car and what had to be repaired. If the car was a flood damage car you should pass right away because they never seem to run right and problems seem to spring up out of no where. On the other hand if it was a bio hazard car ( body fluids ect.. ) and the car has been repaired properly and you dont mind, they can be a great deal. Collision damage is OK if the repairs have been done properly by a quality minded tech (ICAR gold) and no short cuts have been taken. Clips are not allowed in most states anymore and won't pass the inspection process. Ask for pic's of car before repairs started and invoices for ALL parts purchased as well as the org. estimate of damage. Try to find out what labor needed to be done to bring the car back to resell condition and what shop did the repair. Most shops stand behind their work and if the repair center wont give you a warr. for the repairs (Paint , parts, etc.. ) PASS, DON'T BUY THE CAR AS IS. Frame damage can be repaired properly by a trained tech that understands MB and Icar standards for frame rail repair. Remember most totals are not Quality repairs, they are often repaired in a back yard by two guys with a bucket of bondo and a big hammer, with little or no training or equipment. Please remember if any thing smells wrong or looks wrong PASS. After you have done your home work you very well could end up with a fine car at a bottom basement price or you could take a leap of faith and get a total POS at top dollar.If you dont feel that you or someone you trust can tell the diff. walk away.
Also remember if you do buy this car you better plan on keeping it for a long, long time because its going to be very,very hard to sell and you cant trade it in.