New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

New member need intervention

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 04:36 PM
Default New member need intervention

Hi I’m new to forum and Mercedes . I recently separated from my wife and realized for the first time in 25 years I could pick a car for myself no more mini vans ! Being a big guy much larger than 30 years ago fiat 850s and 124s or x19 we’re out even my sunbeam alpine would be to small , so I decided on a Mercedes s500 I found 96 in all right shape super comfortable much faster than I thought. Happy days but still wanted a convertible after asking with mechanic most models I looked at had known issues , so I decided I was taking a chance with any type of older car . In the end I decided on a clk430 2000 great shape and ready to go fun fast and gets attention loving it . Of course all this shopping for car and studying I found a 600sec 1993 mint body and interior , I knew about the wiring issue and talked several times to the owner he finally met my price so I took Amtrak across the state and drove it home it is a dream to drive and way too fast ..I am now dealing with the wiring harness a bit more effort than I had hoped . My problem now is a guy I know called he has a 82 diesel that had been stored 20 years great price beautiful condition but not startling and I know nothing about diesels. Am I crazy for even thinking about it .

Old 08-22-2019, 03:30 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum! The W123 diesels are excellent cars and from my understanding not terribly difficult to work on. It all depends on the condition and how well it's been maintained. Before considering purchasing. get a PPI done by an indy shop. This should give you all the info you'll need in deciding whether the car is worth pursing or not. Let us know if you have any other questions or if we can assist with any future part needs. Thanks!