New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

Plasti Dip - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 05:48 PM
Exclamation Plasti Dip - HELP!

OK so I decided to plast dip my 2012 mercedes c250 emblem and back chrome trim by the trunk.

Everything turned out good, but there is plasti drip residue all over the back bumper, it looks like spray paint marks that wont come off.

I dont know much about cars, paint or anything so I figured I'd ask.

Can I use gasoline or some type of remover to take this off?
Its like little shiny speckles left on my car, looks bad now.

plasti dip is plastic based spray paint that is matt black.

Any help is appreciated!

Old 12-09-2011, 07:35 PM

You'll need automotive paint thinner and two microfiber cloths. Dampen one cloth with thinner (not dripping), then place the thinner cloth in one hand and a dry cloth in the other, gently wipe across affected area with the thinner cloth a few times until the black paint starts to smear then wipe off with dry cloth... keep repeating this process until the black overspray is gone. Just make sure that you are constantly wiping the thinner off with the dry cloth as you don't want to leave wet thinner on your clearcoat for more than a few seconds. After this process you'll want to polish or at least wax the affected area as you'll need to bring the shine back.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by 500SLZ
You'll need automotive paint thinner and two microfiber cloths. Dampen one cloth with thinner (not dripping), then place the thinner cloth in one hand and a dry cloth in the other, gently wipe across affected area with the thinner cloth a few times until the black paint starts to smear then wipe off with dry cloth... keep repeating this process until the black overspray is gone. Just make sure that you are constantly wiping the thinner off with the dry cloth as you don't want to leave wet thinner on your clearcoat for more than a few seconds. After this process you'll want to polish or at least wax the affected area as you'll need to bring the shine back.
This wont remove my paint right? Car-safe? I dnt want to strip anything off my car if you know what I mean..

I heard gasoline could do the trick too, just been googling all day and its driving me nuts

Old 12-09-2011, 10:20 PM

Just be gentle when wiping off the overspray, don't press too hard, and just dampen the microfiber with thinner then wipe the area a few times then directly follow with the dry microfiber to remove any thinner and overspray. This process is used only for "original paint" that is fully cured (Don't try this if you think the bumper has been repainted recently.) I've been using this process to remove "difficult" overspray problems in my career as a 30 year veteran Detailer/Paint Finisher at Porsche/Audi, so rest assured this works. I just stress the importance of being careful, and be gentle when attempting a pro trade technique for the first time. In essence, "don't rub the thinner onto the bumper like a madman, just take it easy and the overspray will dissapear long before you would go through the clearcoat". Hope this helps pal!

Old 12-11-2011, 10:21 PM

thanks for all your help!
clay bar also works!