Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums

Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/)
-   Mercedes SLK Class (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/mercedes-slk-class-14/)
-   -   Slow Roof leak - Passenger Side (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/mercedes-slk-class-14/slow-roof-leak-passenger-side-3024/)

meiday 11-27-2004 02:38 AM

Slow Roof leak - Passenger Side

Hello..
I am looking to purchase a 1999 slk230 with 70000kms (approx 48000 miles, I think) and the dealer has been nice enough to let me take it for a couple of days to test out (!!)

Fully in love! Wantitwantitwantit...needitneeditneedit!

But I have noticed that there is a slow leak at the passenger side window seal. It has been raining heavily for the day, and a few drops have accumulated on the seat.

Does anyone have some experience/input to share? Thanks!

Lugnut 11-27-2004 08:16 AM

RE: Slow Roof leak - Passenger Side

Tell the dealer you'll "buy it today" if he fixes the leak you found. He shouldn't expect you to buy a '99 car that leaks water though the roof. It doesn't sound like a serious problem. They may be able to fix it while you wait for delivery. At worse, you may have to wait for a part to be shipped.

GT56E4 11-28-2004 12:19 AM

Heavy rain or driving rain will more than likely penetrate any seal. Especially the way the windows are designed for the SLK. Just make sure the rubber window seals are not ripped or dirty. Unfortuantely when I approached the dealer with the same problem, they just reset my window because it was apparently raising less than a millimeter more than it was supposed to. I personally think they really didn't do anything, because it still leaks in heavy rain.

Lugnut 11-28-2004 08:58 AM

Hey, meiday - Don't believe the previous poster. That's the most ridiculous statement I've heard in awhile. We're not talking about a '60s-era four-door Chevrolet soft top sedan. A '99 SLK roof should not leak water. If it does, it can be repaired. If it can't, then something happened to it (like it's been in an accident and improperly repaired). Just don't use it as a submarine.

meiday 11-28-2004 04:03 PM

Thanks for the good feedback!

I'll be taking it back to the dealer tomorrow to have the two items looked at (roof leak / possible evaporator hose leak).

These seem like potentially minor problems (fingers crossed!) - so hopefully we'll be able to resolve it!

Let you know how it all works out!

Graham.Quinlan 01-31-2005 07:38 AM

Hi, My SLK leaked at Drivers window just above the mirror support triangle. Just needed to ajust the window up a fraction. Take off door trim to access adjustment.\

Cheers

Graham

ippondawg 12-22-2005 12:26 PM

I also have an SLK that leaks on the passenger side. I've had the window adjusted three times, but it still leaks. The dealership recommended replacing all of the seals for $600. I declined. Any other ideas?

BikerDrew 12-22-2005 12:37 PM

I get a drip in the seal where it meets the a pillar. My seals are soft and not distorted. I think it is really a design issue. Do you get air noise form your leak spot when driving? If not, I would not replace the seals.

Lugnut 12-22-2005 04:40 PM

Assuming the windows are properly adjusted and the seals are in excellent shape, make sure the seals are clean. Do this my using an all-purpose cleaner and clean them gently but thoroughly. When they dry completely, wipe on a very, very light coat of silicone lubricant to keep them from drying out.

bazzle 12-22-2005 11:40 PM

Yes they can leak a few drops in real heavy rain. Just wipe seals clean and keep a small towel in door pocket. Most water comes in when you open the door.
The design could of been better.
Mine does it on occaison. No adj needed and seal in good nick. Not really a bother, may be to Lug nut though. I wonder how he fixed his??

Bazzle