Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

SLK-230 Left Me Stranded Today!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 06:07 PM
Default SLK-230 Left Me Stranded Today!

Hello,
Have a problem and need help QUICKLY...
2000 SLK-230, Today the BAS/ASR dash light came on and the car started running VERY BADDLY, then the CHECK ENGINE light came on.

I put the car in NEUTRAL (I was coasting now about 50 MPH and turned the key OFF and then Started the engine,... it revved up to about 5000 Rpms (by itself - I WASN"T GASSING IT)and continued to run but was CHUGGING along. I limped up the shoulder at a grand speed of 5 MHP MAX.
I got to a place where I could get off the road. I restartedthe car several times and starts right up, but idles VERY Roughly (a chugging sound) at about 600 RPMs and the Throttle seems to have little or NO effect... the BAS/ASR light staysON as does CHECK ENGINE.

When I put it in gear (AUTO TRANS), it goes in HARD and The Brakes don't what to hold it in place. The Pedal is VERY stiff feeling too.
ALL fluids looked fine and fuses looked good as well.

This is the 1st problem of this kind.
I DIDremove and reinsertthe CD Cartridge today because of a NO CHANGER error,... but I have had this problem before,... and it usually works fine once I reinsert the Cartridge,... I don't see these items being related,,, buy who knows...
PLEASE HELP!
Car is sitting in a BAD place right now!
Thanks.
Ron.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:22 PM
Default RE: SKL DIED on the Road today

After about 3 hours of the car sitting. I tried several things:
Spraying cleaner on and behindthebrake rotorsin hopes of removing any build up.
(this car produces an extreme amount of front brake dust, compared to any other cars I've owned).
No Change to warning lights or THROBBING Low RPM idle. (can not get Rpm's higher than about 900). NO MATTER WHAT. When the car 1st starts it has a somewhat normal idle, but as soon as you press the gas pedal the engine starts a Pulsating/throbbing/chugging Idle that cannot
be changed with throttle... but does go back to normal on restart... then back to throbbing when you push the gas pedal... Car will NOT go faster that 5 MPH!

I disconnected the battery (NEG side) for 10 minutes... This cleared the CHECK ENGINE light, but the BAS/ASR light was still present after startup. Ater about 30 seconds after startup, CHECK ENGINE light came back on.

I checked gas cap.

Car Still SHIFTS into gear HARD... VERY HARD and the I have to press the brake HARD to keep the car from serging forward or backward.

What is going on herer!??!?
Thanks.
Ron

Old 08-21-2008, 11:45 AM

WELL,
The repair shop found a chunk of plastic stuck in my throttle actuator.... the plastic was about 1"X.5"X .15" thick. It had a sticky sealant/gasket rubber type substance on one side.
Mechanic said the piece didn't come from anything in the car...[&:]
It was on the opposite side from the MASS AIR unit...so it wan't from there.
The piece was trapping the throttle in WIDE OPEN position whichmade the computer FREAK OUTand trip the WARNING LIGHTS described above....

[:@]This was a totally BIZARRE incident..... that ended up costing$340 to diagnose and fix. Mechanic said if the car has never been in an accident, (and hasn't to the best of my knowledge- 2nd owner)...the piece MAY HAVE somehow gotten in there at the factory and just recently worked its way up the intake tube .... recent road construction in our area HAS made a lot of ROUGH driving lately....
Nothing was broken, AND thank goodness theplastic didn't damage the innercooler.
All systems functioning normally once again.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:08 PM

PIC OF THE PLASTIC PIECE:
LOOKS LIKE A BROKEN TAB THAT MIGHT'VE LOCKED SOMETHING IN POSITION???
ANY IDEA WHAT IT IS?

Old 08-22-2008, 02:53 AM

Certainly cant get thru the teas strainer on top of throttle body.
Check with mech, he may be pulling your leg
Maybe he meant on the peddle under your foot OR at the actualtor pot at the engine end of the throttle cable?

Old 08-22-2008, 10:00 PM

Looks to me like a factory tire balancing weight ? But how on earth could that get into the air flow system ??? Just my 2 cents