Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums

Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/)
-   Mercedes SLK Class (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/mercedes-slk-class-14/)
-   -   Reliability of 1998 230 SLK (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/mercedes-slk-class-14/reliability-1998-230-slk-14519/)

94C280 09-18-2006 11:53 PM

Reliability of 1998 230 SLK

Hi folks,
I come across a 1998 silver 230 SLK with 105K miles for sale in my neighborhood. Before I meet up with the seller to check out the vehicle, What items should I be watching out for this particular model/year, and especially with such mileage? Any advise from the board is greatly appreciate.
Cheers,
Tony

snanceki 09-19-2006 04:21 AM

RE: Reliability of 1998 230 SLK

Just make sure everything works especially electrical....e.g. remote door locks, alarm, radio (does it have a radio code?), ROOF and that the Check Engine Light, and other system lights, work (at start up) and are not ON. Familiarise yourself with how ABS, ASR, Cruise, Speed limiter etc work before getting into the car if you are not familiar. So many people do not seem to understand how these systems are supposed to work!!

Most other things are common to all makes and models e.g. is there oil mayonnaise under the oil cap, do brake discs have a ridge on them at max diameter, is there oil smoke from engine, does the handbrake work, is tyre wear even, etc etc...... AND OF COURSE DOES IT HAVE A COMPREHENSIVE SERVICE HISTORY.

Good luck,

Stuart

dpwaters 09-19-2006 09:47 AM

As far as major problems with the 1998 are concerned, I haven't really found any. I bought mine with 64k on it, I am up to 110k and I use the top frequently. My only minor problem was the MAF sensor becoming oily from a K&N filter. Other than that, Awesome car!

94C280 09-20-2006 03:44 AM

ORIGINAL: snanceki

Just make sure everything works especially electrical....e.g. remote door locks, alarm, radio (does it have a radio code?), ROOF and that the Check Engine Light, and other system lights, work (at start up) and are not ON. Familiarise yourself with how ABS, ASR, Cruise, Speed limiter etc work before getting into the car if you are not familiar. So many people do not seem to understand how these systems are supposed to work!!

Most other things are common to all makes and models e.g. is there oil mayonnaise under the oil cap, do brake discs have a ridge on them at max diameter, is there oil smoke from engine, does the handbrake work, is tyre wear even, etc etc...... AND OF COURSE DOES IT HAVE A COMPREHENSIVE SERVICE HISTORY.

Good luck,

Stuart

ORIGINAL: dpwaters

As far as major problems with the 1998 are concerned, I haven't really found any. I bought mine with 64k on it, I am up to 110k and I use the top frequently. My only minor problem was the MAF sensor becoming oily from a K&N filter. Other than that, Awesome car!

Hi Stuart, dpwaters,

Thanks both for your responses. I was hoping to find out specific issues from other SLK owners on this model year; however from your responses, it sounds like the 1998 SLK is a solid performer without much issue other than common to other MBZ models. Is there other high mileage SLK owner who can help to attest its reliability?

Cheers,
Tony :)

snanceki 09-20-2006 04:26 AM

Only NONE typical MB /generic old age issues I can think of are:
1. Rear Parking Brake Grunt. This is typical when parking on a moderate hill and is endemic to the design of parking brake. Its annoying but doesn't cause a problem.
2. Kompressor (wear). Not sure what the expected life is. My SLK is a V6 and doesn't have one so no issue.

Stuart