Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

Questions re: 2003 SLK 230

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 05:02 PM
Default Questions re: 2003 SLK 230

Hi!

Just got back from purchasing a used 2003 SLK 230, automatic. How do you tilt the steering wheel? The book indicates a piece underneath the wheel, but there is nothing there. Also, does the wheel move in and out?

Old 06-13-2006, 07:48 PM
Default RE: Questions re: 2003 SLK 230

Hi
Probably that is an option and you may not have tilt steering option. The manual usually uses for variety of c230 models and not for only one c230 so the best is write down the VIN Number of your car and ask the dealer and give them the VIN Number, they will be able to answer your question. About the button you described, if you can't push it down or move it, that may be a LED of your car alarm system, the dealer installed there or independent car's alarm installer installed in there. I have owned mercedes so amny year, I never see any button on top of the steering wheel hub except someone install the LED for an alarm signal there. I may be wrong but the best is provide the VIN Number to your local MB Dealer in order to get the precise answer. If we cannot see your car in person, it hard to tell you what it really is. By the way, according to your description, your car may be an entry level of c230 with less options. Hope it help.

Regards,
joedao2005

Old 06-13-2006, 08:02 PM

Hi
Is me again. If the car don't have much option, don't worry. Based on my experience with benz, the less option, the less trouble you will have to face specially electrical parts which will cost most expensive in repair. I got my 2000 E320 entry level sedan with no gps, command center and electric sunshade but it has no electrical issue compared to the same model year has those options always bring to the drivers lot of headache and money spending. I love to have those options but since thinking about the trouble, I rather buy a cheap plastic sunshade to cover it by hand, get a cheap mobile gps and mobile bluetooth to use with phone and get more fun too since those gadgets today for cars were multifunction devices like gps with MP3 player, GPS with phone bluetooth etc.. cost you only few hundred bucks compare to a thousand dollar command center hooked into your car together with trouble and money waste. Think carefully before decide to add any extra option into your car because benz is unfriendly Electrical System. Good Luck and Enjoy your new car. Also you can go to the follow link and check for your car history by providing VIN number of your car and pay some small fee like credit report, you will have a full history of your car. I recommend to do this since you bought an used car and this check will prevent you from car's problem without knowing why. Here is the link: www.carfax.com.

Regards,
joedao2005

Old 07-05-2006, 10:14 AM

Under the steering column, there is a plastic handle that pulls in and out. Pull on it and you'll notice a red indicator light that looks like a steering wheel on y our cluster. Grasp the steering wheel and pull it towards you, (or push it in) and you're done. To change the tilt, with your left hand grasp the lever on the side of the seat near the floorboard. Move the seat up or down. The seat height changes the angle of the steering wheel just fine.

Hope this helps,