Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

Mercedes Transmission Filter, Gasket & Fluid Change DIY Video

Old 09-24-2015, 11:49 AM
Default Mercedes Transmission Filter, Gasket & Fluid Change DIY Video

I just had to change my transmission filter, fluid, and pan gasket.

Watch this video before doing yours:

Old 10-13-2015, 10:00 PM

that really is only half a transmission service. if you don't have a converter plug, to do it properly you need to take it someplace that has the proper equipment or procedure to get the old fluid out of the torque converter. ask what the procedure is used to service your transmission, if they don't have a way of at least getting the fluid out of the converter go someplace who does.

Last edited by brookings; 02-18-2016 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:08 PM

I would suggest that people do some more research on their own on the matter and see. not the first time or the last that we disagreed on something.

Old 10-15-2015, 10:55 PM

I was under the impression that some 722.6 trans-converters came with a drain plug some didn't. the so called "sealed for life" like any other synthetic fluid is really good for 40 to 50,000 miles. if you do have a plug on your converter, that will get about 95 percent of the fluid including draining the pan and replacing filter. at best you'll probably still have about 1/2 to 3/4 quart left inside someplace. I don't know if it is worth it to someone to spend a little more to disconnect the cooler line at the transmission and suck the fluid out of the cooler. a big question is, do you have a converter plug or not. I'll check my 98 slk the next time I'm under her. I think most 98s had one and after 99 they were eliminated, except for a few lucky people, and started bringing the converter plug back around 07.

Last edited by brookings; 02-03-2016 at 12:45 AM.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:48 PM

I was getting a transmission leak fixed on my sl last week and ask them about transmissions without a converter drain plug. the way Metric Motorworks out of Coos Bay, Oregon does it with sealed for life or any merc transmission that doesn't come with a converter plug. They disconnect the cooler return line to the transmission and run the car while adding new fluid at the same time until the oil comes out clean. it requires about 15 quarts making it a little more expensive but it's better than a new tranny. it doesn't do much good if half the oil is still old when just draining the oil in just the transmission pan. other reseach I've done shows that this is probably the best way to change fluid in a mercedes transmission without a converter plug. luckily my 98 does have a drain plug.

Last edited by brookings; 02-24-2016 at 09:03 PM.