Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

Just joining the family

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 01:45 AM
Default Just joining the family

I'm just acquiring a 1998 SLK230. What can I look "forward" to? Are there any nasty surprises I can look forward to?

Old 10-05-2006, 03:02 PM
Default RE: Just joining the family

Welcome to the forum wcassel!!

Some things I'd look for is the proper operation of the top. Cycle it a couple of times, there shouldn't be any binding.

You also want to make sure the Check Engine Light comes on in the #2 position just before starting and then goes out after starting. It's a long shot they disconnected it, but it's an easy check to verify.

There is a recent recall on the tail light ***'ys. Some folks have had it done, some may not, but it covers 98-04 SLKs. The brake lights burn out after a short period because of overheating. You might ask if they're aware of it.

Check to make sure everything works with the key fob too. Doors, trunk and center console lock/unlock. Make sure the windows work up and down (Both should go down automatically when you push past the first click in the switch.

This question has been posed before, so try searching the forum, too. I'm sure you'll find other information. That's all I can think of off the top of my head. A lot depends on how many miles it has and how the car was driven. There may be some peeling on the console, MB didn't do a great job on surfacing the pastic, but there are fixes for it.

Good Luck and hope it works out for you. The SLK is a great car!!