Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

Highest Documented Miles

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 03:39 AM
Default Highest Documented Miles

Was wondering what the Highest Documented Miles any of you have on your SLK, I have a 2000 slk230 with 70,000 miles on it, I use it as my everyday car. I've found that most people who have slk's have the luxury of having it as a second fun weekend car. Was wondering if this has the abilty to pull 300K or 400K like other benz's...or maybe not since it's just a 4 cyl. The highest miles on an slk I have ever seen on the web is 130,000 miles. I wonder also what are the problems that people have experienced in high mileage slk's ie. transmission/engine

Happy driving

Old 08-07-2006, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Highest Documented Miles

I purchased my 2001 SLK 320 last early last year with 54,000 miles. I now have 119,000 miles. I drive it occasionally. [sm=bs.gif]

I am starting to get a valve train noise when the vehicle is cold in the morning. I have been meaning to post a thread on this issue. I expect I will need an alternator and water pump soon. I change all my fluids regularly, have changed the spark plugs and still I get 23-24 mpg in the city and near 28 mpg on the hwy with plus grade fuel. I had to use 10% methanol once and got 20 mpg. I try not to use crummy gas.

Old 08-09-2006, 09:03 PM

I have a 01 slk 230 with 70k. So far it has been really good to me. Just change the fluids and filters and spark plugs. I thought something major was about to screw up on her a lil while back but it ended up being....you will never guess.. I had diesel in my gas!!! Truck driver put a little diesel in the mid grade gas tank on accident and didnt tell anyone untill ppl starting come n in with the same problem I had. I am thinking about putting a pully kit on my car to get more power from the lil super charger, but I am wondering if that will wear things out sooner? P.S this is my daily driver also

Old 08-10-2006, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

Talk to Bazz about using the pulley kit. Most minor upgrades to a vehicle don't do anything negative other than fuel consumption issues, since you are making more power.

Old 08-10-2006, 06:34 PM

My SLK230 is a daily driver. I do about 250 mi/wk and currently have almost 84K on it. I had to get some front suspension work done when I first got it back in Dec '05. I resently had all the belts replaced with the last oil change. I just cleaned the MAFS myself a couple of weeks ago which extinguished the CEL. I have the typical "peel" of the faux leather which I'm experimenting with using Plasti-Dip in spray form, I think it will come out nicely with an "original" look to it and I fixed the rear brake light ***'ys because of the pitted contact debacle. I had to repair both door panels because of the cheap glue MB used and I also replaced the rear-view anti-dazzle mirror. The thing I notice right now is when I start it up and start driving through my apartment complex, it won't shift from 1st to 2nd, but by the time I get to the security gate it's warmed up and doesn't hesiate at all.

Knock on wood, I plan to continue to drive it daily with the possibility of relocating to Germany where it will remain a daily driver at about 70 mi/day. We'll see.

I love the car!! One day I may replace it with a new style SL500 (love the retractable hardtop)[sm=gears.gif], but not until after I get a Cessna 177 Cardinal. [sm=grinangel.gif]

Old 08-11-2006, 03:54 AM

my CEL light is on...tried the whole gas cap thing, it's on tight. I would love to clean my MAS myself, how would I go about doing that?

Old 08-11-2006, 08:48 AM

ORIGINAL: Slkboi2000

my CEL light is on...tried the whole gas cap thing, it's on tight. I would love to clean my MAS myself, how would I go about doing that?
Checkout this excellent thread compliments of CopperDesigno. It may help you to print it out and have it with you while you're doing it. It's not hard at all.

http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/sho...highlight=MAFS [sm=burnout.gif]

I would find out what the error code is first. I'm not sure where you are, but I had it read for free at AutoZone, did the cleaning, then had it erased at my local auto hobby shop. The OBDII scanner at the AutoZone I went to did not have the capability of erasing MB error codes so it came back on a few days later. I had it erased by a professional grade OBDII scanner. It hasn't come on since.
If you can find CRC's MAFS Cleaner, great! I couldn't find it and used electrical contact cleaner.

Good Luck!

Kevin

Old 08-12-2006, 09:14 PM

well i brought a 98 SLK230K last august with 51,000 miles on the clock and a full benz service history !

since i've put 23k on her (now reading 74,000 miles)

and had new disks and pads all round ! had a new head gasket (£1100) and now its got an oil leak !

don't we just lur've mercs.............?

oh and when the fuel gauge gets to half full it starts to re-fill its'self (i wish) then it goes do'lally

i think i may have found a friday afternoon car ??????

oh and now the cat is starting to smell ! probably due to the head gasket leaking coolant into the bores ?

yum

Old 08-15-2006, 05:27 PM

Got a 2001 with 79,000 miles of commuting and weekend driving all in CA. The roof cable got busted a few years back and the dealer got it fixed, the cassette deck got replaced too. I take it to the dealer for all my work and they keep a good eye on it (to make more money on any potential repairs )..............She runs like a champ adn will keep it till some major stuff starts to show up, but till then she's staying!

E

Old 08-19-2006, 02:08 PM

I bought my SLK with 27K miles on it. 2 years and 40K miles later I had to have my transmission rebuilt. Why? Not everything was created equal and there's always that percentage of good vs. bad components. I was also told that I should have replaced all the fluids when I bought the car - and since I bought the car from a dealer, I thought they replace all the fluids when they resell them... Oops, I was wrong. [&o] Well, everything is now fixed and running strong. But my dealer just made me an offer to move up to the SL class that is hard to ignore.

Bottom line:
Just like most vehicles, as long as you religiously keep up with the maintenance the car should be able to run as long as you're willing to finance the care of it.

GT56E4

Quick Reply: Highest Documented Miles