Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

Help! I'm in TX & AC not working

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 07:44 PM
Default Help! I'm in TX & AC not working

My AC is not working. It is blowing air, but not cold air. It worked before heater season. I had my dad look at it (he is like a technological MacGyver) and I will try to relay what he said. "The clutch on the compressor is not engaging. He measured that there are 9 volts going to the coil, 12 is normal." I have no idea what that means but I thought maybe yall do. I would really appreciate any help! I figured I would give this a try before I take it to the dealership...which is like a 5 day waiting list!

Old 04-24-2006, 07:46 PM
Default RE: Help! I'm in TX & AC not working

Sorry, I forgot to put the model....1998 Mercedes SLK 230

Old 04-24-2006, 11:04 PM

Kristin,

What part of Texas are you in? If you're in the Houston area, I can recommend a good shop that only works on high-end German cars.

Scott

Old 04-25-2006, 01:18 AM

It may just be low on refrigerant. Refilling it is a very simple DIY job for a MacGyver-type. The dealer would probably charge a small fortune to fill it. He can do it with a kit that costs about $20 from an AutoZone or such. They (Autozone) may even be nice enough to hook up a pressure gauge to see if it's low. Let them know that you want to know if it's low before you buy a refill kit from them.

Or, you can take it to a cost-friendly A/C service garage. Just a generic one. That should cost well under $100. Or, ask Scott for an address, though you don't need to take it to a "high-end German car" garage just for refrigerant, but you may feel better about going to a place like that.

Old 04-25-2006, 05:08 PM

I am in the Dallas area.

Old 04-25-2006, 05:21 PM

Thank you for giving me some ideas. I will try to go to AutoZone and see if they can test it.

Old 04-26-2006, 10:48 PM

I would be careful about letting Auto zone touch your car..if its not ingaging it could also be that your compressor is seased...but take it to a mercedes mechanic or a certified a/c shop mercedes has a very complicated system..you could do more harm than good if you don't know whats going on..i had this problem too..

Old 04-26-2006, 10:53 PM
Super Moderator

was the "EC" LED light "on"?

Old 04-27-2006, 12:00 AM

You just hook up a pressure gauge to the low-pressure side of the A/C system. There's nothing "complicated" about it. You don't need a "certified mechanic" to do it. Any backyard mechanic can do it. The only "difficult" part may be locating the low-pressure valve.

Compressors won't engage when there's no refrigerant pressure. Checking for refrigerant pressure won't damage a compressor, nor will it further damage an already damaged compressor. Low refrigerant may not be the problem here, but it's the first step in resolving this problem. If the refrigerant level is not low and the A/C system needs repairs, I wouldn't ask AutoZone to do it. They wouldn't anyway.

If you don't know what you're talking about and are just trying to scare people into using a dealer because that's all you can ever figure out how to do, maybe you shouldn't "help". All you can add is that a "Mercedes mechanic" should be used. Hmmm.

... and it's seized, not "seased."

Old 04-28-2006, 04:00 AM

ORIGINAL: sleepwalker

was the "EC" LED light "on"?
I like that No reply though

Bazzle

Quick Reply: Help! I'm in TX & AC not working