Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

HELP! 2001 320 with PSE problem.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 12:28 AM
Default HELP! 2001 320 with PSE problem.

This is my first post because i just found this forum while trying to search for the problem. My parents picked up a 2001 SLK 320 and the keyless entry didn't work. So i started looking into it more and discovered that the center console unlock button doesn't work either. So while searchingthe forum i discovered more about it.Using the key to unlock the drivers door only does that door and the same for the trunk, it only opens itself. So istarted trying to find the fuse box in the trunk and it isn't under that panel on the right side. So i kind of dissmissed it because i started looking at the PSE and i had seen that the pins had corrosion and moisture on it so i cleaned it up and put it back together and nothing. So i assume the PSE is dead. But i also decided to start looking for that fuse box again and i couldn't find it. I pulled the RH side panel up as far as i could with the trunk still in place and i still could not find it.Thefuses under the hood are good.Another bit of info is that a tree hit the car and crushed the top and was replaced by the owner previous to the one we bought it from and alot of the panels in the trunk are missing the screws and plastic lock peices, so that leads me to beleive that some shady work was done. I don't see a point in replacing the PSE if there might be missing wiring. All the connectors are plugged into the PSE. So i guess my main question would be, where in the world could that fuse box have gone too? Does this year and model not have that F4(?) fuse box under the small flap over top the PSE?

Old 10-09-2007, 01:24 AM
Default RE: HELP! 2001 320 with PSE problem.

Hi,

Although I've done a lot of work investigating PSE problems I don't actually know for sure where/how the circuits are fused. Would have to look at WIS to confirm... which I don't have available.

I'm not sure on what basis you make your comment.....Does this year and model not have that F4(?) fuse box under the small flap over top the PSE? USA SLK security methodology is different to Euro/UK

I take it you have inspected the underbonnet fuse/electronic boxes and for info are aware of the one on the end of the dash. (drivers side)

However if you have corrosion on the white multipin plug on the PSE it is 99% certain your PSE is dead and can't be resurrected.
For info if your trunck interior panels are missing this will exacerbate the design issue which can allow water to "dribble" down the PSE harness leads into the PSE.

As a cross check I predict your Interior Dome Light doesn't work correctly (stays on when doors selected) since this system uses the same digital information regarding door switch position as does the PSE Security system. Likewise your surity system will not be working. If this is not the case then you need to further refine your problem definition since the possibility that your PSE remains OK increaseis in fact...Unlikely however.

Power (switched) for these circuits comes from the Body Electronics module in the engine bay (hence this is where I expect the fuse to be) and power is switched using a digital (door open/shut) signal down the CAN digital highway which has been shorted out by the corrosion both internally and externally at the PSE.

I also assume that your door locks don't work with the Remore but do so with the key.

You often also often get erroneous rear lamp cluster bulb out warnings since this is also part of the PSE function.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:39 AM

It seems that the PSE is dead. There is no sign of life from it. No keyless entry, no alarm working, no autounlock with the key in the door, the center console unlock/lock switch does nothing. No flashing lights for securityin the car when its locked. I cannot locate the fuse box in the trunk, it is not where every one said it should be. I'm thinking that maybe the 2001 year did not have the fuse box in that location. Did it get moved somewhere else in this year?

I hope i reworded it enough.

Thanks,
Russell

Old 10-09-2007, 11:16 AM

Did you look in the elctronics box as I suggested?

You have not confirmed that the Interior Dome light isn't working correctly when opening the doors.

IF (I repeat) IF the Interior Light is not working correctly when the doors open/shut then I'm not sure what else you want me to say.

The PSE is DEAD.

Stuart.

Old 10-09-2007, 03:12 PM

No rear fuse box on post 2000. Check fuse 7 under hood.

see here in stickys under PSE may help? http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170-slk-class/

Bazzle

Old 10-11-2007, 01:55 AM

Update:

Upon opening the PSE it was extremely corroded like i had been at the bottom of a lake. Replaced the PSE and all is well except the previous owner had taken the dome light bulbs out, so i replaced them and they are staying on. I haven't had time to check the door switches and trunk, or to check the actual dome light switch itself. But my PSE was DEAD!!!!!!! It had not one sign of life at all. Now to make sure this doesn't happen to it again and fix the dome light.

Old 10-11-2007, 02:17 AM

The dome light (when auto is selected) is controlled by the PSE. Door switch signals go to the PSE and are then relayed to the Body Electrics module via the CAN in the engine compartment.

If the dome light is not working correctly this is usually associated with a PSE error.

Sure your PSE has a known origin?
Sure your multipin connector had no residual corrosion between the pins?

Good Luck.
Stuart

Old 10-11-2007, 08:53 AM

ORIGINAL: snanceki

The dome light (when auto is selected) is controlled by the PSE. Door switch signals go to the PSE and are then relayed to the Body Electrics module via the CAN in the engine compartment.

If the dome light is not working correctly this is usually associated with a PSE error.

Sure your PSE has a known origin?
Sure your multipin connector had no residual corrosion between the pins?

Good Luck.
Stuart
The PSE is brand new from the local MB dealer. I will also try to clean the connectors on the PSE too. Do you know which connector is specific to the dome light and door switches?

Old 10-11-2007, 11:10 AM

Hi,

OK So you can be sure the PSE is OK.
Can't remember door switch colours but easy to find out by removing door switch. Different LH to RH.
The dome light is wired to the N10 module in the elctronics bay in the engine compartment.
Communication between the PSE and N10 Body elerctronics controller is via the CAN which is two separate wires which are light green and the other white.
The signal down this Hi and Lo CAN is digital.

Stuart.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:04 PM

I cleaned the connectors and the dome light started working fine so i decided to put bags over the PSE and when i got it all back together i realized the dome light was on again and won't shut off. I tried messing with the connectors and wiggling and cleaning and could never get the dome light to shut off again. I'm clueless now untill i can figure out the wires that are for the doors.

Quick Reply: HELP! 2001 320 with PSE problem.