Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums

Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/)
-   Mercedes SLK Class (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/mercedes-slk-class-14/)
-   -   Headlight Conversion Kit? (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/mercedes-slk-class-14/headlight-conversion-kit-5425/)

SLK320Chic 07-03-2005 06:55 PM

Headlight Conversion Kit?

Do any of you know of any HID headlight conversion kits for the 01 SLK320 Roadster? I'm looking for one because I am not a huge fan of the stock SLK headlights. I'm looking to do an in-house conversion. Any links to sites or just information that you may have is MUCH appreciated! Thanks in advance!

bazzle 07-03-2005 08:26 PM

RE: Headlight Conversion Kit?

I have just put a HID kit into my 1998 slk230.
If yours uses H7 globes kits are common. Just search on EBAY for HID kit.
You need a 4300k H7 kit. They will cost over $250.
6000k and up does not give more light on the road only more Blue hue.
Do not get sucked in to buying the HID look etc. replacements bulbs. They are crap and a con.

Bazzle

sleepwalker 07-03-2005 11:36 PM

just convert it to XENON.

BikerDrew 07-05-2005 02:48 AM

My 01 SLK 320 came with the HID lighting ( it was an option I believe ). You might call around to wreaking yards to find salvage parts as new ones are expensive. The lights are wicked bright a piss everyone off in your path. Have fun!

SLK320Chic 07-05-2005 03:56 PM

Hm, I'll have to look into that. Thanks again for everyone's help!

Perry 07-07-2005 10:16 PM

I know some one from another fourm (V6p.net) that sells HID kits for 260 Shipped. Let me know if you want this

SLK320Chic 07-14-2005 08:03 PM

I just re-read over my post and everyone's replies. I'm not looking to just change the bulbs. I want a completely different headlight housing and also projection lights. I don't dig the boxy teardrop look it has. I'll find a photo of what I am thinking more along the lines of. But I basically want to change the entire appearance of the headlights.

GT56E4 10-11-2005 03:23 AM

ORIGINAL: Perry

I know some one from another fourm (V6p.net) that sells HID kits for 260 Shipped. Let me know if you want this
1. I searched on v6p.net and couldn't find any HID kits. Not to mention, what brand do they list?

2. I know Hella's are recommended but are brand names really that important? I'd like to stay under $250 for this kit. Are there any other brands recommended? Philips? And does anybody know a good vendor for it?

3. Would you trust the kits sold on eBay? Obviously they're cheaper, however cheaper isn't always better. On eBay, I found "PurevisionHID kits" - are they the same as Philips, as the manufacturer's claim?

The reason I want to stay under $250 is because the SLK requires 2 pairs and the F4i motorcycle shall get 1 pair. That's a lot of money (to me) just for lights.

Thanks.

bazzle 10-11-2005 07:13 AM

Good luck. People on other forums have been down that path and run into a brickwall. If you find something post it up.

Bazzle

GT56E4 10-20-2005 02:03 AM

Just an update... I just bought and installed a Philips Xenon H7 Kit @ 6000K. Works great!!!

This was highly recommended by several guys who compete in Hot Import Nights shows because of the ballasts. Not to mention, I bought the kit at a show for $375!

GT56E4