Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums

Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/)
-   Mercedes SLK Class (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/mercedes-slk-class-14/)
-   -   Got a stumper for you DIY and Pro mechanics...any takers? (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/mercedes-slk-class-14/got-stumper-you-diy-pro-mechanics-any-takers-39979/)

DOCJAY 11-14-2009 02:59 PM

Got a stumper for you DIY and Pro mechanics...any takers?

I have the dreaded Check Engine Light on. I have been reading these threads for a few years now and I need some addtional help. What I have done so far:

1. Replaced the MAF
2. Replaced the pre-cat O2 sensor
3. Replaced the leaky Cam adjuster magnets
4. Installed a new wire harness from the Cam magnets to eliminate any further oil contamination to the O2 sensor and MAF
5. Had South Charlotte Mercedes Dealer install a new after market ECM but could not program it because they said it had already burned-in program on the ECM board. Got the ECM from GoECM.com
6. I am not 100% sure that a new ECM will eliminate the CEL light. ($2000 USD from dealer)
6. I sprayed cleaned the throttle valve assembly with a degreaser

I have done everything that everyone has tried on this forum but I cant get that $%$^& CEL light to go off. Can someone with experience with this problem please, please help me get this CEL light to go out. I am getting around 15 mph because the ECM is in limp mode and not working.

I have about $1200 USD in this already and no one has been smart enough to fix it. please help me before I go broke. thanks in advance

Docjay

chassis221 11-14-2009 06:05 PM

these are some of the common problems

the vacuum lines get chaffed threw on the right side front of the engine right by the cam magnents. check all the lines and hoses for breaks.

the oil can get into the air mas sensor and all into the intercooler if its a 230 kompressor.

there are 2 metal valves that get clogged up with carbon on the right side of the engine inline with the rubber hoses.
both metal valves are close to or almost right on top of one another.

check the air intake hose on the right side of the engine, right behind the radiator, but not on the engine, going into the metal switchover / throttle body looking thing thats right at the airfilterbox. the hose breaks where it clamps to the air filterbox.

what codes do you have that are causing the check engine light?

DOCJAY 11-16-2009 10:04 AM

Codes for CEL

Thanks for the info Chassis. I have a local garage that has cleared all the codes and the light will stay off for just a few miles and then back on again. The latest code that pops up is something to do with the throttle valve but the mechanic doesnt think it is the throttle valve.
Why would GoECM.com sell me a worthless ECM if it has already been burned in for a specific engine?
Can I fix your suggested responses or do I need a mechanic to check them?

This seems like a hopeless attempt on my part. I have thrown so much money and time into getting this fixed that I am about to give up.

I hate to let a dealer work on it now especially when I already have so much invested into it.

Any suggestions?

docjay

DOCJAY 11-16-2009 12:08 PM

ECM Nightmare from Hell

Update to my neverending battle with my ECM for 2003 SLK 230.

So I buy an ECM form GoECM.com for $700 bucks. I take the ECM to Mercedes South Charlotte. I wait for 2 hours and all I got was car wash for $145. They said that the ECM I bought already had a burned-in scn coding and drive authorization will not program to this control unit because of it. Ok, so I had a few snacks while waiting and now I have a $700 paper weight. I called GoECM.com and got their technician. His thick Indian accent immediately got me scared. He said that the warrenty states no refund and that it was my responsibility to get it flashed or reprogrammed. He did say that he could fix my bad unit for the $700 I gave him. He said to send the new ECM along with my current bad ECM. (this means I am carless for a week.) In the meantime, I recalled the Mercedes dealership to see if they could sell me a new key and EWS (dont know what this is). This way they could program the key and the ECM EWS at the same time. ??? Any comments would be appreciated to my delema. Has anyone tried to reprogram their ECM or EWS rated issues???
help........

docjay

chassis221 11-16-2009 05:53 PM

since your getting a code related to the throttle body then the common things i mentioned probably arent the issue. I Havent seen many throttle bodies go bad. Ive only ever replaced maybe 2 throttle bodies in 9 years. it could be your throttle position sensor, depending on your car its either the gas pedal or the tps under the hood where the throttle cable attaches. is your gas pedal operating correctly? when you press it is the engine performing accordingly? tps is a common problem on benzes.