Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

Winter tyres

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 05:35 PM
Default Winter tyres

Hi I'm based in thee UK and run a 2002 SLK 230
I'm having problems trying to get winter tyres fitted
I've been told that I need 7J wheels all round and that the offset is different between front and rear.
can any one help

Smallgun

Old 11-10-2004, 11:58 AM
Default RE: Winter tyres

Winter tyres ? why bother ?
unless you live in a remote Scottish highland area ?
The cost would be astronomic[&:]

Old 12-08-2004, 09:56 AM
Default RE: Winter tyres

Yes the cost was more that I expected. but I now have a full set of winter tyres on correct wheels.

During my investigations the help I received from Michelin (UK) and Mercedes (UK) was abysmal.

I finally got in contact with Mercedes (Netherlands) and they knew exactly what I was talking about and faxed me the necesary details to get the correct wheels from my local Main Mercedes dealer.
Even then the local Mercedes dealers were less that helpful and said they were unable (or unwilling) to supply the correct steel wheels (but I could have alloys as they had those in stock).

Michelin originally said they could not supply any tyres as there was no demand, but eventually relented and imported a set for me from Germany (it only took nine weeks in total)

Given that the Nertherlands has a similar weather pattern to ours they are completely set up for supplying and fitting the necessary wheels and tyres for winter use and at a lower cost than that available in the UK.

I would say to anybody who is thinking of going down this route scrap any idea of getting anything in the UK and get everything done in the Netherlands or Germany its cheaper and easier.