Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums

Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/)
-   Mercedes SLK Class (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/mercedes-slk-class-14/)
-   -   Drivebelt replacement question (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/mercedes-slk-class-14/drivebelt-replacement-question-6345/)

WetWillie 08-25-2005 12:20 AM

Drivebelt replacement question

Hi. I'm a newbie to this forum. The drivebelt on my 2002 SLK 320 disintegrated this evening. Fortunately, I made it home without any difficulty. I've been unsuccessful in finding any posts related to installing a new belt. I r&r'ed one on my Chev truck just last month and it couldn't have been any easier. Could someone please tell me if any special tools are required to install the belt? Are there any helpful tips I should be aware of? Thanks in advance for any helpful responses.

sleepwalker 08-25-2005 12:35 AM

RE: Drivebelt replacement question

wetwilly,

check for any loosely moving pulley. there must be some reason why it goes out. this is serious problem.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1/14F4DE716946451082F535396C3B363B.jpg[/IMG]

WetWillie 08-25-2005 01:02 AM

Sleepwalker,
Thanks for responding so quickly and especially for the much needed diagram and advice. I'll pick up the proper tork bit tomorrow so I can pivot the tensioning pulley out of the way. Can I move that pulley in any other fashion? I don't mean to appear like a shade tree mechanic but a 20" 1x2 board made an excellent prybar when changing my Chev drive belt and didn't leave so much as a scratch. I found it worked even better than the socket that the Chev manual recommended. Also, you suggested I look for any loosely moving pulley. I spun all but the crankshaft pulley and each turns freely. Did you mean to suggest that I look for a pulley that does not turn loosely as being a source for the belt failure?
Thanks again and good night.

sleepwalker 08-25-2005 02:20 AM

Can I move that pulley in any other fashion
yes you can.

for as long as you have strong hands and can move it to slackening position.

bazzle 08-25-2005 03:16 AM

Normal 8mm 12 point ring spanner will work.

Bazzle

sleepwalker 08-25-2005 05:33 AM

yes. i use the same thing too. it fits good.

WetWillie 08-25-2005 10:56 AM

Geez Louise!!!! Thanks for the great advice! FWIW, I used a 1/4" drive socket with a 1/4 to 3/8" adapter and a small 3/8" drive breaker bar to muscle the tensioning pulley enough to slip the belt over the next closest pulley lip. And I thought installing the serpentine belt on my Chev was easy. Phew! Piece o' cake!
I am extremely thankful to both you guys!
Now to post another question, this time pertaining to adjusting the striker plate on the passenger door.
WW in E TN