Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

A/C Smell and possible upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 10:05 PM
Default A/C Smell and possible upgrades?

I'm new here, and to the whole cars interests. I recently got into it after buying a SLK230 [1998] and talking about it with my friends...

1. My car, whenever the air conditioning is turned on, has this very unpleasant, sort of "stale" smell to it. I took it into the shop and the mechanic did a full check on the vehicle and said nothing was wrong. However, I still sense something isn't right because it's unbelievably rancid.

2. I'm thinking about customizing my car, more for performance and was wondering what would be some basic starter parts to invest in [for better acceleartion and speed and stability?]

3. The speakers are blown out and are all fuzzy and distored and I was wondering what a good brand of speakers are, but fairly cheap, for the car? Also what would be a compatible audio unit to replace the stock one I have? If I get a CD-only one from Clarion, what would happen to the CD changer in the trunk of the car? Would it still be used or would I pull that out? Also, I want to be able to plug in my iPod to my car, and I have a tape cassette adapter, but I can't seem to find an audio unit that features both the CD option and a tape option. So suggestions?

Thanks!

Old 09-16-2006, 01:14 AM
Default RE: A/C Smell and possible upgrades?

Re:1
1. Have you fitted a new pollen filter in the AC?
2. Are you sure the AC drain is not blocked. I'll bet it is. Easy way to check is if there is a puddle on the ground when you drive away after idling with the AC on for some time.

If not 1 & 2 then I suspect electric regulator is frying.

Stuart

Old 09-16-2006, 01:33 AM

Come to think of it, there is a puddle everytime I pull out from idle [only after a prolonged period of time however]. But why is it when I brought it into the shop, they couldn't identify this problem?

Old 09-16-2006, 01:53 AM

If there is a puddle, the drain must be clear.

You haven't stated whether the pollen filter has been changed. if not this is the next step. At the least it needs to be inspected to ensure that it doesn't have mould on it

If the garage states that the car is OK maybe this is because they haven't / can't smell what you can?

When does the smell occur?

Is it when you get in the car in the morning after standing for several hours or for instance when you have the AC on. If so at what setting?
If the latter is true then maybe the AC speed control is faulty and frying hence a typical acrid burning smell of PCB board.

Both smells are quite distinctive to a trained "nose"

Sorry can't help much more.

Be assured, the AC should not smell.

Stuart

Old 09-16-2006, 07:12 AM

Ill second the filter.

Remove flap under glove box (2 screws)
Slide tabs away under filter and pull filter down .

Bazzle

Old 09-16-2006, 06:40 PM

ORIGINAL: snanceki

If there is a puddle, the drain must be clear.

You haven't stated whether the pollen filter has been changed. if not this is the next step. At the least it needs to be inspected to ensure that it doesn't have mould on it

If the garage states that the car is OK maybe this is because they haven't / can't smell what you can?

When does the smell occur?

Is it when you get in the car in the morning after standing for several hours or for instance when you have the AC on. If so at what setting?
If the latter is true then maybe the AC speed control is faulty and frying hence a typical acrid burning smell of PCB board.

Both smells are quite distinctive to a trained "nose"

Sorry can't help much more.

Be assured, the AC should not smell.

Stuart
Pollen filter hasn't been changed. The smell occurs whenever I turn on the A/C, whether it be when I just start up or after a few minutes. It doesn't smell like anything being fried, so...

But I will get the filter changed and see how that affects anything.
Thanks!

Old 10-15-2007, 01:47 PM

I've experienced this with more than one vehicle. When you first turn on the AC it smells like an old sock. In my experience this comes from mold in the system. It seems to occure mostly in garaged vehicles that don't always have a chance to bake for long periods in the sun to thoroughly dry the system. There is a product called Frigi Fresh ? that is sprayed into the air intake, kills the mold and greatly improves AC system smell.

Old 11-05-2007, 04:43 PM

I have a 99 SLK230 and have been iritated by this issue for years.
It is particularly gauling when MB mechanics pretend they don't know what it is.
I know better. But first,
I have never had, and do not have any burning parts.
I do have a stink of mold or mildew or stale water, that can be shocking/nausiating.
It happens when:
1. starting A/C, whch goes away after running a few moments, or
2. using fresh air (EC) which goes away very slowly maybe 15 minutes).
It never happens in winter.

A mechanic recomended the following fix.

It can be killed with Lysol. How? With engine on, Turn A/C on and use ECono mode.
Spray Lysol through screens under windshiled wipers (under hood).

This solution is almost as bad as the problem. The Lysol leaves an intense smell. It kills most of the mold, but doesn't get at the source. The original stink comes back after the next damp day.

I know what the real problem is, but I've never been able to get the details. A mechanic did fix mine, without any lysol of scent of any kind. The A/C evaporates water and it falls to a pan which has a drain hole. A tube is attached to the drain hole. The evaporated water drains down/out this tube. The tube and hole are too small and therefore clog easily. He said he uses a straightened clothes hanger to reem the hose so the water can flow out. No water pooling, no mold.

It's been years, and I have never been able to find out where this tube is located.
Or how to get at this Pan from above.
This was know in 2000 and should have been recalled.
The revenure from post-waranty service in this must be incredable considering there's no parts and very little time involved.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:45 AM

Air Con "Mould" smells are common to many makes and are usually associated with clogged evaporator drain or type of usage/humid environment.

If the former you just need to locate the drain and ensure it is not blocked with mould or inlet pine needle debris etc.
You also need to check the air inlet box drain (plenum) under the hood since this also has a drain and this is the more likely to get clogged.

Each model is somewhat different but generally find the lowest point in the plenum and likewise the lowest point on the heater/aircon casing (behind the dash) and this is where the drain is. A valve (which is referred to in many different ways!) is located at the lowest point and sometimes this just projects into the space below the car and on other occasions its exit is connected to a tube to get to below the car.
Heater/aircon evaporator drain is usually sited above the gearbox so is difficult to find but rough coordinates can be determined from where the puddle of water is below the vehicle when the vehicle is left standing with the aircon On and the vehicle stationary.

You can also try putting a hosepipe into the air inlet grill at the back of the engine bay for a moment or two to determine where the water comes out and to also ensure that it is finding its way out below the car. Not too long however just in case the drain is blocked and no water appears below the car but finds its way into the cabin!!

Can't believe that any garage with a half decent mechanic doesn't know this.

"Check plenum drain" is a routine service item and on some models e.g. w220 leads to all sorts of (expensive) problems if the car is kept below pinetrees and the garage fails to ensure the drain is clear.

Good luck.

Stuart.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:38 PM

My SLK 230 will have that smell about once a year, I replace cabin filter and whaalaaa smell is gone..
Filter is a D.I.Y. located right behind glove box.. Little panel with two screw in it.. Clean/Vacumn housing with shop vac..

Quick Reply: A/C Smell and possible upgrades?