Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

2001 320 CONVERTIBLE TOP SPORADIC PAUSES

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 01:46 PM
Default 2001 320 CONVERTIBLE TOP SPORADIC PAUSES

Hi Everyone,
Recently I had the convertible top repaired. It was a broken cable. I'm still not convinced the cable failed on it's own at the tip. None-the-less, I notice more often now that when I lower the top, the trunk lid will open all the way to the stop point and just hang there. I'll still have the lever pulled back but the top doesn't move for up to 7-8 seconds. In the past, once the trunk lid moves to the stop, the top starts pulling back. Again, this is sporadic. Any others with this experience or suggestion?

Thanx

Old 07-23-2007, 11:55 PM
Default RE: 2001 320 CONVERTIBLE TOP SPORADIC PAUSES

If its sporadic it appears that there must be some form of electrical / hydraulic issue.

When you experience the "problem" is the hydraulic pump (listen) still running or has it stopped.

Is there another reason (car on slope posibly) that is linbkedto the problem?

Have you check the hydraulic fluid level in the pump. Access coverRHS of boot trim. Level mark on pump plastic resevoir body.

Stuart

Old 07-28-2007, 06:33 PM

Sorry to get back so late; email got routed into the SPAM folder by the provider.

The pump still sounds like it's moving (hopefully I"m not confusing this with some gear noise). Sound does stop once the top lifts off the windshield.

Car is on flat surface with this problem. But the car is normally parked on a slight slope.

Please explain the boot cover. Sorry to sound like a newbie. I went into the trunk but don't see any cover other than a piece that covers the rear strut bolt.

Thanks for some lead.

Update: Located the panel behind the trunk mounted CD player. Fluid level is within marked range. I did notice an allen wrench clipped onto the panel. Is there a guide for the end user to adjust the pump?

Thank you again

ORIGINAL: snanceki

If its sporadic it appears that there must be some form of electrical / hydraulic issue.

When you experience the "problem" is the hydraulic pump (listen) still running or has it stopped.

Is there another reason (car on slope posibly) that is linbkedto the problem?

Have you check the hydraulic fluid level in the pump. Access coverRHS of boot trim. Level mark on pump plastic resevoir body.

Stuart

Old 07-31-2007, 04:32 AM

Do not turn the allen key and operate the pump!

Read your owners manual re opening/closing roof manually, that will explain purpose of allen key.

Yours sound like it has sticky pins or seal in front of roof over your head. Lube the pins with spray grease, Wipe rubber seal with 303 etc.
Its good to lube ALL the joints in roof with spray on lithium or chain grease.

Bazzle

Bazzle

Old 08-01-2007, 09:55 PM

Greetings Bazzle,
Thanx for your warning and suggestions. Just got acall from the Stealer. The tech diagnosed it with a bad "tumbler". Trying to find out what that is on the internet so I'm a more informed owner.

Do you know if there's an online copy of the owner's manual? My sister didn't give me the manual when she gave me the car.

Cheers!!!

ORIGINAL: bazzle

Do not turn the allen key and operate the pump!

Read your owners manual re opening/closing roof manually, that will explain purpose of allen key.

Yours sound like it has sticky pins or seal in front of roof over your head. Lube the pins with spray grease, Wipe rubber seal with 303 etc.
Its good to lube ALL the joints in roof with spray on lithium or chain grease.

Bazzle

Bazzle

Old 08-06-2007, 09:05 PM

Damn it Bazzle,
Wish I would have seen your post at this forum.... http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170...pair-rear.html

It's exactly what they charged me for.
Repair invoice...
Rotary tumbler 170-820-07-10$50
Switch Lock170-820-09-10 $20
20 tie straps $14

switches s69/1 and s69/2 replaced with updated part number.

Labor was over $500. Glad I got an aftermarket warranty since.

Hope this helps someone down the road.

Cheers!