Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

Trunk/ Boot Lid won't Open on my '92 500SL R129

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 12:14 AM
Default Trunk/ Boot Lid won't Open on my '92 500SL R129

Hi Guys,

I have a problem with my ’92 500SL R129,

Basically the boot (trunk) has always opened/ closed without a problem (2 months ownership). Then a few days ago I moved the car using a friends trade plates, I opened the boot to get something out and then closed the boot (trunk) lid onto (I believe) the rubber ‘hangers’ for the trade plate.

Now the lid won’t open. Using the central locking remote or key in the doors I can hear the lock operating and similarly I can use the boot lock to lock/ unlock the doors but pushing the boot lock/ button will not open the trunk lid.

I can hear all the locking mechanisms working, I can even hear the slide plate moving/ opening/ doing something when I push the ‘lock/ button’ in… but the trunk won’t open.

I believe problem is the rubber straps from the trade plate that I believe are caught in the mechanism are preventing it from opening. The rubber strip hangs either side of centre and seems very stuck i.e. I can’t pull it or work it loose!

So I wonder… how does the opening mechanism work? Is it a plate that slides from left to right (or vice versa)?!

I’m wondering what the hell I can do the release the jammed rubber strip (1.5cm wide and 2mm thick) in order for the mechanism to work! It’s always worked before!

Thanks

Ben

Old 01-31-2011, 12:16 AM

PS. I have so far carried out the following…

- Turn the key to ‘ 2 o’clock’ and then to ‘10 o’clock’ - I can hear all the unlocking/ locking mechanisms working - repeatedly and pushed the ‘lock/ button’ in but the trunk wont open

- I have turned the key to ‘2 o c’clock’ whilst pushing the ‘lock/ button’ in… but the trunk won’t open

- I have unlocked the trunk, pushed the button in and hit the trunk lid around the badge, I have pushed down with great force whilst pushing the button in… but the trunk won’t open.

- I have pushed the button in and tried to force the lid to open

So frustrating!

Old 01-31-2011, 07:44 PM

try sitting or putting alot of weight on the trunk lid first then try unlocking

Old 01-05-2024, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by s1ben
PS. I have so far carried out the following…

- Turn the key to ‘ 2 o’clock’ and then to ‘10 o’clock’ - I can hear all the unlocking/ locking mechanisms working - repeatedly and pushed the ‘lock/ button’ in but the trunk wont open

- I have turned the key to ‘2 o c’clock’ whilst pushing the ‘lock/ button’ in… but the trunk won’t open

- I have unlocked the trunk, pushed the button in and hit the trunk lid around the badge, I have pushed down with great force whilst pushing the button in… but the trunk won’t open.

- I have pushed the button in and tried to force the lid to open

So frustrating!

Hi
did you mange to open the trunk? I have the same problem but on a W204.