Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums

Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/)
-   Mercedes SL Class (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/mercedes-sl-class-15/)
-   -   performance exhaust (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/mercedes-sl-class-15/perormance-exhaust-1332/)

Veight 02-28-2004 06:39 PM

performance exhaust

Any one now of performance exhausts for the SL500 my exhaust has died and Id like to know if Performance replacements are available and worth buying. Is there an actual noticable differance.

Lugnut 04-12-2004 10:20 AM

RE: performance exhaust

Yeah, I'd like to know of one that works. Probably cost a fortune, too.

My SL is so quiet, a free flowing exhaust behind a set of headers would have to improve performance. I want side pipes, though. Something like the AC Cobra pipes, but a little more tastefully done. I think any SL would look just right with side pipes. Before you balk, check out the new SLR McLaren.

mgsbenz 04-12-2004 07:55 PM

Be careful. I just restored a 1966 Corvette big-block with side pipes. They are wonderful sounding but the volume level is high and can be annoying on a long drive.
They do look great, though.

Lugnut 04-13-2004 10:58 PM

Yeah, I hear ya. Gawd, I'm punny.

With cats and mufflers, even high flow, it could be tolerable if done right. Certainly more tolerable than my Chevelle. That thing sounds like a Saturn V taking off and it doesn't even have side pipes.

I doubt very much if the SLR MacLaren sounds annoying, so something like its setup would work. It's probably loud, but only when you step on it.

cfkingfish 05-06-2004 01:03 PM

Im sure that Borla on Monza make a setup for the SL600. Try checking out ebay, or you can go to a performance site like www.speedworldfx.com.

-Christian

Veight 05-18-2004 07:25 PM

RE: performance exhaust (FOUND ONE)

Thanks for the advise guys.
I have found a company called Mercedes Performance ( www.mercedesperformance.co.uk ) in Bushy, Herts
They have s/s performance exhausts complete, also to convert twin tail pipe to full quad with oval, round or square tail pipes. They up the throughput, HP and of course the good old V8 burble.
I am getting a quote and will let you know if anyone is interested?

stats007 05-11-2005 02:17 PM

RE: performance exhaust (FOUND ONE)

Mercedes Performance are a good guide to what is out there for stock parts (i.e. most German tuning companies) but are pricey and from my experience don't know R129 SLs very well. Consider a bespoke stainless manufacturer who can tailor the exhaust for your car and make it as loud or as quiet as you like. A lot cheaper than the likes of Eisenmann or Brabus.

A UK example:

www.haywardandscott.co.uk - I've been quoted £350 + VAT. They made a nice exhaust system for a 911 and shipped to the US.