Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

a fix for the cracking & lifting burl

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 02:59 AM
Default a fix for the cracking & lifting burl

if you have cracking or lifting burl around your seat switches, this is an answer if you don't want spend an arm and a leg for new oem replacement parts. I went down to my favorite upholstery shop and picked up $5.00 worth of matching leather, $10.00 for a can of contact cement and a paint brush. you'll need an exacto knife. I took off the old burl, smoothed out the aluminum plate that the switch mounts to, laid on several layers of contact cement to the leather and the switch plate following the directions on the can. apply the leather to the plate, work the leather to the plate with your thumbs to make sure it is glued on really good. with the hardware removed from the plate, I laid the plate face down on some cardboard and used an exacto knife to carefully cut the leather out of the switch and button holes. Have a couple spare blades handy in case the blade gets dull from cutting around the aluminum holes. blades must remain razor sharp. You can replace the seat adjustment light if it's out while the switch assembly is out. mine came with a brown based lamp, but the blue based instrument cluster lamp will work just fine. the memory buttons lamp is built into the switch. To remove switch assembly, just pry off the door lock button, grab the bottom of the small burl plate behind the door handle and pull out, there is one screw holding the burl catch plate, remove screw and plate. Take your wedge and slip between the switch plate and the door panel pry towards the back of the car and the front will just pop out due to the spring clips at the back of the switch plate. pry the wire connector off at the end that has a gray plastic pin. When reinstalling, just fit the front plate catches into the door panel and just push the back of plate toward the door panel and it will pop into place.

Attached Thumbnails a fix for the cracking & lifting burl-dsc05404.jpg   a fix for the cracking & lifting burl-dsc05406.jpg   a fix for the cracking & lifting burl-dsc05407.jpg   a fix for the cracking & lifting burl-dsc05412.jpg   a fix for the cracking & lifting burl-dsc05409.jpg  

Last edited by brookings; 07-27-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:13 PM

the spring clips on the right push the catches on the left tightly into the door panel.

Attached Thumbnails a fix for the cracking & lifting burl-dsc05410.jpg