Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

Dash Repair for 1985 model 280SL

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 04:11 PM
Default Dash Repair for 1985 model 280SL

I have a 280SL that I purchased new in 1985 in Stuttgart. It is in very nice condition with the exception of the dashboard. Over the years a few cracks (because of the sun) have occurred in the top of the dash. Is there any way that I can repair it with some sort of filler material or do I need to buy a new dashboard from a retailer that specializes in SL parts (especially European specs models.) I believe there is a specialty Mercedes parts store in Palo Alto, CA. Bottom line is that I want to repair the dash and sell the car some time this summer. Any help? Dave Wilson.

Old 06-03-2015, 01:02 AM

ebay motors have "vinyl leather repair kits". get the one that has the multiple colors and a small iron with a flat round tip. I've had good luck with mine but all my small repairs have been made to black and have not needed to match a color. if the vinyl or leather is hardened and is lifting on the edges you might use a dremel with a small fine grain grinding bit to carefully grind those edges flush.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:19 AM

Thanks for the info. I will order the repair kit. Other than the dash, my SL is in great shape. I picked it up at the factory in Stuttgart in 1985. BTW south coastal Oregon is beautiful. My wife is an Oregon Duck and she hails from near The Dalles (Dufur). We are coming home to retire once again in Bend.

Old 06-03-2015, 11:48 PM

I'm assuming your car is still in Europe, you might consider shipping it over instead of selling. compare shipping yourself and your car by boat as opposed to flying. drive her from the east coast to Bend. if you're retiring there's no rush. also it's a nice rig for running over to John Day on a nice day with the top down. Of course you could just buy another sl here in the states. I really like my old money pit 129..

Old 06-04-2015, 08:30 AM

I brought my SL back to the U.S. in 1986. Had it shipped to California . Was converted there to US specs. Currently live in Georgia. Have driven it across the country many times. Love the car. Will drive it to Bend, or maybe even sell it here. Highly desired car here. It has a 5 speed stick shift and 6 cylinders. It flies like the wind. When I came back to the U.S. in 1986, after driving on the Autobahn for a number of years at 100 mph, I go stopped on I-5 going downhill on the Grapevine north of LA at about 90 mph. Still had my German plates and so the CHP only gave me a warning. Now that I am 72, I have more sense. Will probably sell it. BTW, I hope I can find the right color in the vinyl repair kit. The interior is grey but the dash is dark great (almost black).