Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

Abc issues

Old 09-20-2018, 12:21 PM
Default Abc issues

Thinking of buying a 2004 sl but after reading everything about the abc issues I am reconsidering,it just seems like everyone of these cars have problems
how does Mercedes still sell these cars,they should stand behind them
does everyone have issues I know you need to change the fluid every 40000 miles or so but it seems like they still leak and are so expensive,I have owned the 129 series and the only issue was the top cylinders,I hate to buy another one I have owned 4 of the 129 series and wanted to try something different

Old 04-08-2019, 09:09 PM

the abc system is always going to be a problem sooner or later. if you like the looks of the car you can go to RMT suspension parts and get a complete abc replacement for $2,700, parts only. it will take at least 15 hrs to replace. basically you will have no more problems and it will handle like the 129 but with rack and pinion steering. then you only have to worry about the sbc. I have almost 40k on my 04 and so far I've only replaced the pulsation damper on the abc. I will be changing fluid again at about 25K or less, I wouldn't go any longer than that. If I have any major issues I may be doing the whole abc replacement or maybe I'll repair as needed. most repairs are not that hard, you should learn as much about the car as possible. Still looking for a sbc replacement for down the road, if anyone has an answer to the brakes let us know. another love hate relationship. I love the LOOKS, the handling, ride and retractable hard top. I don't really have a problem with my 129's handling. if you can get a r230 at a good enough price with these problems in mind, then maybe.. there is no cheap sl. call me crazy but to me they are worth keeping up, a work of art. other than the systems in question they are really a fairly well built car.

Last edited by brookings; 12-03-2020 at 07:47 PM.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:13 AM

can the OEM system parts be rebuilt ?

Old 04-12-2019, 12:26 AM

most modules, pumps, top cylinders and abc type shocks can be repaired/rebuilt. as these are weak spots in the system, I wouldn't buy used parts such as accumulators and pumps for the abc and sbc systems, rebuilt pumps are ok depending on who is doing the rebuilding.

Last edited by brookings; 04-22-2019 at 01:33 PM.
Old 11-17-2020, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by brookings
the abc system is always going to be a problem sooner or later. if you like the looks of the car you can go to RMT suspension parts and get a complete abc replacement for $2,700, parts only. it will take at least 15 hrs to replace. basically you will have no more problems and it will handle like the 129 but with rack and pinion steering. then you only have to worry about the sbc. I have almost 40k on my 04 and so far I've only replaced the pulsation damper on the abc. I will be changing fluid again at about 25K or less, I wouldn't go any longer than that. If I have any major issues I may be doing the whole abc replacement or maybe I'll repair as need. most repairs are not that hard, you should learn as much about the car as possible. Still looking for a sbc replacement for down the road, if anyone has an answer to the brakes let us know. another love hate relationship. I love the LOOKS, the handling, ride and retractable hard top. I don't really have a problem with my 129's handling. if you can get a r230 at a good enough price with these problems in mind, then maybe.. there is no cheap sl. call me crazy but to me they are worth keeping up, a work of art. other than the systems in question they are really a fairly well built car.
I need to replace the pulsation damper on my 2003 SL500. I googled the part really cant find a lot on it or what is even looks like. Is this also called an accumulator ?Can I ask where you got your replacement ? I am a little nervous doing this on my own. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Gas Works Garage; 11-17-2020 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-17-2020, 09:06 PM

It is very simple to replace. The older models have it in the left front wheel well in the lower back. I think it's 220 327 01 15. newer has it on the pump, a better way. they are like a black mini pressure tank, heavy, aprox 4"x 6". the accumulator keeps pressure on your shocks keeping it level when car isn't running. the damper diaphragm dampens the vibration from when the abc goes into action many times a second, otherwise you would feel vibration or hear.

Last edited by brookings; 12-30-2020 at 12:15 AM.