Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

Luxury Multimedia Package for S Class

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 11:41 PM
Default Luxury Multimedia Package for S Class

Hello All!

Anyone knows anything about LUXURY MULTIMEDIA or REAR SEAT ENTERTAIMENT SYSTEM package in United States. Basically, this is a rear seat system that has factory monitors installed in headreast and has a contol on the back seat for the radio and etc, the same as the one upfront now.

I am planning on changing my 2007 S550 in 6 month an really want to get it. No one in Houston heard about it, but it is being advertised by Mercedesall overEurope. Russian magazineshave bunch of adds for it now.In UK site they advertiseit as an option for 3,200 Pounts and call it REAT SEAT ENTERTAINMENT system.

If anyoneheard about ithere, please let me know. I am interested particullary on what I need to do to order it here in the States.

I will try to upload couple of pictures I found on UK site:

Thanks,
Denis

[IMG]local://upfiles/29545/C468444052D74976B9602410735C7492.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/29545/2D8FEC25D7934C639A72D356531831CD.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-19-2008, 04:15 AM
Default RE: Luxury Multimedia Package for S Class

ORIGINAL: denisgur

Hello All!

Anyone knows anything about LUXURY MULTIMEDIA or REAR SEAT ENTERTAIMENT SYSTEM package in United States. Basically, this is a rear seat system that has factory monitors installed in headreast and has a contol on the back seat for the radio and etc, the same as the one upfront now.

I am planning on changing my 2007 S550 in 6 month an really want to get it. No one in Houston heard about it, but it is being advertised by Mercedesall overEurope. Russian magazineshave bunch of adds for it now.In UK site they advertiseit as an option for 3,200 Pounts and call it REAT SEAT ENTERTAINMENT system.

If anyoneheard about ithere, please let me know. I am interested particullary on what I need to do to order it here in the States.

I will try to upload couple of pictures I found on UK site:

Thanks,
Denis

[IMG]local://upfiles/29545/C468444052D74976B9602410735C7492.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/29545/2D8FEC25D7934C639A72D356531831CD.jpg[/IMG]
Yep, that’s an option extra here in Europe, though if you walked into a dealer today, in the current new car market in Europe, you would definialy be able to haggle and get that for free here in Europe!

Denis, traditionally for Mercedes (and BMW too, so probably fair to say that Audi do too), the cars sold in the USA are always much lower spec than in mainland Europe. You can still see its the case by comparing the standard and options available.This is because of several reasons:

Firstly,3 series and 5series plus C & E class are such high sellers here in Europe, that competition is very fierce in the luxury car market (not so in the USA). As a result dealers are willing (if you haggle) to throw in a lot of "optional extras" for those models in for free if you show you are serious about getting the car, and if its to be a company car, expect them to throw in almost everything, then screw you when it comes to servicing. As a result, it has meant that the S class & 7 series in Europe have even higher standard specs as people are not willing to pay for extras they perceive you would get as standard in lower models.

Secondly (was told this by a friend who used to work at a Mercedes Dealership in fact), in the USA there is a thriving after sales modification market, think MTV Pimp my ride etc, and here in Europe we do not really have the same market to the same extent, therefore optional manufactures extras like TVs, DVDs have apparently never sold well in the USA, as many customers opt for perceived to be "better" 3rd party installations, plus here in Europe, each country is smaller, so TV reception on the go, in a car, is a much easier trick to master etc.

Thirdly, when you convert prices, £3000, becomes what $5000, therefore optional extras become expensive compared to 3rd party options. And (no offence meant), its a well know fact among manufactures that Americans, when it comes to cars, are willing to sacrifice luxury and fuel economy etc, for a cheap price. Though clearly this does not apply to you if you are thinking S class.

Finally, you guys are NTSC, all of Europe is PAL video standard, and a different DVD region too...differences in standards like these and mobile communication standards, friquencies,etc, take the manafactures time to work on, certify, ensure it is complint with US Govt standards etc, and of course the will work on European standardsfirst, as Mercedes is German, and Europe is Mercedes and BMW's prized market.

There must be a toll-free number for mercedes USA, give them a ring and ask if it is avalable in the USA, and ask where your local dealer is that can demo it for you, worth a try.

Old 10-20-2008, 02:57 PM
Default RE: Luxury Multimedia Package for S Class

Hello JRHILTON,

thanks for the reply. You make a lot of good points, but I have to disagree with couple.

Mercedes, BMW and Audi, actually come much more fully loaded in US than they usually come in Europe, most of the features that you have to order in Europe are "standard" for luxury sedans in the States. The major difference between options are for the backseat passanger - in my opionion, because in US very rarely people use personal drivers and in most cases drive cars themselves.

You are correct about the trend of puting aftermarket accesories in the cars, but I much more prefer to have everything factory installed.

From the technical point0- with PAL and NTSC -that I agree maybe a problem, but I am not concered about TV reception, only DVDs. But again,we should be able to get backseat DVD players withno problem. SClass currently has DVD upfront in Navigationand itworks perfectly. Actually, I believe it is region free,because I can watch both English and Russian DVDs now with no problems. Plus, other European cars come with this option and it works good, so I am sure that this is not a big issue.

Iwill continue researching into this. Ihope that this can be special ordered,however, it is very hard to go beyond available things in US when it comes to this type of options.

Anyway, thanks for the reply. The more input I get, the morechances to get where I am trying to get.