Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

s430 weird starting problem!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by georgerat
You said you could have replaced the CPS yourself. Where is it located?
My fault bro I think I may have seen that post on a different forum.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:16 PM
Default S430 Mercedes start problem weird

I turned the key in the ignition all the way as usual to start the car. The appropriate lights turned on including the instrument panel and exterior lights, but the engine failed to turn on.
I then turned the key back, removed it, and attempted to start the car again. There was a slight delay, but it then started with no problems or malfunction symbols or messages on the instrument panel work. Only does it when it's cold. Turn ignition all the way. Hear a sound like a machine is warming up then It cranks. Does it everyday. After it cranks and run it cranks regular the rest of the day.

Does anyone know of any signs I should be watching or listening for?

I would appreciate any ideas as to what could possibly have caused this incident.

drama.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:15 AM

Do you know what the "range" is supposed to be? I am dealing with the same issue and am replacing the CPS, but how do I know if the sensor range is set correctly? Or how do I know what to set it to? Any ideas/suggestions? We have searched the car for the fuse/relay diagram, to no avail. If anyone has one, can you email it to me? or fax it? karstout@aol.com or 352-394-0729. Thank you.

Last edited by Deb Karst; 04-09-2014 at 09:17 AM. Reason: added more info
Old 10-30-2017, 03:35 PM

My Mercedes does the exact same thing when it warms up.. but it also stall while driving then will not start till it cools off.. I do have check engine light but can't find anyone that has scope to check codes other than dealership.. was your cam shaft sensor problem causing it to stall while driving also

Old 10-30-2017, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Charliemorgan
My Mercedes does the exact same thing when it warms up.. but it also stall while driving then will not start till it cools off.. I do have check engine light but can't find anyone that has scope to check codes other than dealership.. was your cam shaft sensor problem causing it to stall while driving also
This may not be the best solution, but auto part stores like Autozone and O'Reily's should have a shop tool to read your codes.

Old 06-08-2018, 02:52 PM
Default Same problem but with stalling

Originally Posted by NIGEL PETERS
hi everyone
i have a 2000' Mercedes s430 (w220), i recently been having a starting problem,
when i turn the key the car sound like its going to start but it just keeps trying and it wont start

the problems only happens sometimes, and usually when it happens i have to wait about 10 minute and try to start the car again then it will start.
i noticed that the problem doesn't happen when the engine is cool, (like in the morning when im about to drive to work), i think most of the times it happened i had driven the car somewhere and parked for less then 2 hours and tried to start it again.
The car now cuts out whilst driving it, it does eventually start again...

ANY IDEAS?????????
So, one day I started my 2000 S430, and after the car started, it sounded like I was still holding the key in the start position for s few seconds, then it dropped off.
Months later, I turned the key and it made the start sound, but never started.
Figured maybe the battery, jumped the car, it started.
Ran fine for a month or so, then did the same thing; jumped it, it started.
Replaced the batter, same issue, just more frequently
Then, started, went about ½ mile, died.
Sat on the side of the road, tried to jump start it, nothing. Put a battery meter on it, now under 11.
Car sat for 30-45 minutes, started (not first turn)
Drove ½ mile back home, it died.
Sat in driveway for 3 days, has started every time I tried but I am afraid to drive it in fear it will die again. I have ordered a CSP, and will replace it.
But not sure if that will stall the recent stalling issue.
It only happened the last time I drove it..

Old 06-08-2018, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by ballo26
So, one day I started my 2000 S430, and after the car started, it sounded like I was still holding the key in the start position for s few seconds, then it dropped off.
Months later, I turned the key and it made the start sound, but never started.
Figured maybe the battery, jumped the car, it started.
Ran fine for a month or so, then did the same thing; jumped it, it started.
Replaced the batter, same issue, just more frequently
Then, started, went about ½ mile, died.
Sat on the side of the road, tried to jump start it, nothing. Put a battery meter on it, now under 11.
Car sat for 30-45 minutes, started (not first turn)
Drove ½ mile back home, it died.
Sat in driveway for 3 days, has started every time I tried but I am afraid to drive it in fear it will die again. I have ordered a CSP, and will replace it.
But not sure if that will stall the recent stalling issue.
It only happened the last time I drove it..

Are you able to have any codes read? This should give you some insight as to where the issues could be coming from. Do you have a tool to be able to do this? I'm including a link below to a terrific scan tool specifically for Mercedes.

Schwaben Mercedes Scan Tool