Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

S430 shifter stuck in park

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 03:15 PM
Default S430 shifter stuck in park

Hi All,

I have a 2000 S430. I was in an acident where someone backed up and crunched the drivers door and front fender well. Right after the accident the ABS light came on and the shifter was difficult to get in to reverse or drive or neutral. I had the body work done and then had a mechanic who specializes in Mercedes look at the problem regarding the shifter. He said there was a 50% chance it was the brake light switch which cost about $100. Not a bid deal. They called back and said actually it's the electronic selector module which is around $500 plus labor would bring the total to between $750 to $900. Ouch! The mechanic is saying that the problem is not related to the accident, but I believe it is since it started happening immediatley after the door and fender got crunched. The car actually moved a few feet when it got hit. The other weird thing is that after the body shop fixed the damage the shifter was completely stuck in park. I couldn't get it in to any other gear. Has anyone had a similar problem and does it seem reasonable to assume it is related to the accident?

Thanks!

Old 11-08-2007, 12:55 AM
Default RE: S430 shifter stuck in park

Clear symptoms.

ABS light came on because ABS sensor wire under wheel arch got damaged / disconnected. Somebody must have corrected this although you don't make mention.

Stuck in Park is the consequence of a safety system that has been activated. Due to numerous "Accidents" in the USA it is now necessary to put your foot on the brake before moving the shifter lever. Brakes ON is sensed thru the brake pedal switch. If this goes fails...and it does...then you can't get the shifter out of Park. this is intentional.

However SOMETIMES you get similar symptoms but due to the selector module rather than the brake switch being faulty. If they have changed the brake light switch then it is likely the selector module and yes these are expensive. I think the garage is giving good advice.

I don't see a connection between the accident and the selector mechanism failure although it is just possible that if some wires got trapped in the area adjacent to the door/footwell and shorted out, it is possible that this has damaged the selector/module.

Did any of the wiring have to be repaired / removed / or whatever?

Was any electric welding done on the car. Electronic modules don't like strange elctric voltages going where they are not intended to.

I just think you have been unlucky.

Quite a common failure.

Finally are you sure you have NEVER spilt some drink in the vicinity of the selector mechanism...be honest! this is the usual cause of the selector module failing.

Stuart

Old 11-26-2007, 01:25 PM

OK, after going to battle with my insurance company and losing, I broke down and had the ESM fixed. I had to pay for it

Neve spilled anything around the shifter.

Thanks for your reply.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:21 PM
NAZ

IT REALLY NEEDS TO BE ON STAR DIANOSTICS,TO CHECK THE ACTUAL VALUES ON ESM,TELL ME 1 THING WHEN YOU APPLY THE BRAKE PADEL CAN YOU FILL OR HEAR A CLICK SOUND ON THE GEAR SELECTOR IF CAN THAN YOUR STOP LAMP SWITCH IS OK.IT WILL THAN NEED A ESM MODULE IT AS TO BE PROGRAMMED TO THE CAR DUE TO THATS UR STEERING LOCK S CLASS DONT HAVE STEERING LOCK BUT IT HAS A SAFETY GEAR SELECTOR THAT ACTS AS A STEERING LOCK,SOME TIMES THE FAULT CODE COMES AS NO FAULT ON ESM,WAT ACTUALLY HAPPENS IS IT AS SPRING IN ESM THAT SHOTS OF AND ITCAUSES THE ESM TO PLAY UP..................

Old 11-28-2007, 02:19 PM

Nope, didn't feel or hear a click sound when I applied the brake. I didn't get theactual values/codes of the ESM, I guess I should of asked for them? Anyway, it's too late since I had the mechanic put ina new ESM. Those things aren't cheap! Obvouslymade in the Deutchland and not China! Ha Ha.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:33 AM

Did the new module fix the problem?

If so having the old unit returned (or at least offered) would have confirmed that they really did fit a new unit. Parts have date (or codes) on them. If they didn't offer it I wonder why?

Charging for a new module whilst changing the brake light switch to correct the fault would be a nice little earner....BUT although this is possible it is extremely unlikely. Most garages are honorable BUT...modules are EXTREMELY reliable, especially after initial use period, unless they get wet or have spurious electrical voltages fed into them!

The most annoying thing about all of this is that these modules only cost a fraction of what they are charged out at. A 1 dollar part can be charged at for instance 200 dollars. The justification is all the overheads of storage, retrieval, part of the service etc etc. Bottom line all manufacturers make more on spares than they do selling the vehicles in the first place.

MB are no worst than the rest of the industry.

C'est la vie.

Stuart

Old 11-08-2011, 09:25 PM
Default MY SHIFTER IS LOCKED IN PARK 2001 s500

Greetings folks, my shifter is locked in park, but when i step on the
brake pedal i dont hear any clicking sound. No sound when pressing the brakes mean that its the brake switch?