Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums

Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/)
-   Mercedes S Class (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/mercedes-s-class-11/)
-   -   Ipod (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/mercedes-s-class-11/ipod-12632/)

silver seattle s5oo 07-03-2006 06:32 PM

Ipod

Is there a good way to hook in an Ipod onto te 2001 s500 Bose system elegantly? I currently use the tape conector but it is ugly. I would love a little plug somewhere. Thank you!

lemonlib 07-04-2006 02:17 AM

RE: Ipod

there is the crutchfield thing that converts the ipod to a RCA out...(white and red.).unfortunately you cant control the ipod with the buttons on the consul...like other cars...toyota has a module that would make it work with the buttons on the steering wheel...some radios for you year had aux out put...SOME! ...i hope yours does...

lemon.

silver seattle s5oo 07-05-2006 04:38 AM

Thanks a million... I'll check it out!

silver seattle s5oo 07-12-2006 04:41 AM

Hi Lemonlib, The parts counter at the dealer told me no way about the wiring of an ipod, but I am confident that he was as errogant sob and just wanted to get rid of me between phone calls. where would you suggest checking this out ? Thanks.

lemonlib 07-12-2006 05:14 AM

Well here is pretty much my expierience...

When i bought the S550 this month i saw that there is a ipod interface in the stupid mercedez catalog.....so i go to the finance guy..here is the list of what i want....so he prepared a long list of extra guddies i had to pay ....

when i took the car in , they stuck a few things in the car...like paint anti scratch something something....and tint....they refunded me my ipod deal..they said that it is only factory ordered......

so i was not going to get detered from this i researched crutchfield....and i found out that 06 and below some had the Rca input in the back....
so if you the lucky one with a RCA input in the back then great.....your other bet is FM modulation.....wich sucks ...

hope this helps
Lemon

silver seattle s5oo 07-12-2006 06:03 PM

great information. That is basically the response I get as well, i.e. the dealers have no idea and when they think they do, totally missunderstood your question because they were not listening. Dissapointing. I have a cassett in my 2001 S500 and that works well with the iPod, just unsightly. Thanks as always.

poormario 10-27-2006 06:59 PM

I would suggest checking back with Crutchfield. They now have a a kit that WILL allow you to use the controls on the steering/head unit. The only drawback is that you will no longer have the availability of the CD changer. My opinion is that I am more than willing to give up the CD changer for the iPod. Mine just arrived today so I have no idea what it will take to install but if it looks too complicated, I will contact an installer. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

silver seattle s5oo 10-27-2006 09:18 PM

that sounds cool. I would detach the CD as well as it is all on my Ipod anyway. I wonder if it can be plugged back and fouth. Not sure how to check on the RCO jack yet, i.e.whether I have it or not, but I will ask the dealer to look when I have a warrantee repair coming up soon. That would be the easiest.

I am looking forward to hearing of your experience. How much did that all set you back throguh crutchfield?

--DS

silver seattle s5oo 02-28-2007 05:26 PM

To re-open this conversation, I have spoken with Crutchfield and they do not have a hook-up for my 2001 S500. I do not know if I have the RCA ourput on the back of the unit and the dealer says I don't, but won't look.

So the question, does anyone have experience with the crutchfield hardwired antennea connection? does it sound good?

Thanks for your help.