Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

EIS Replacement after the dealership programmed new key

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 10:39 AM
Default EIS Replacement after the dealership programmed new key

I recently had the dealership program a new key for my car. After driving the car only 2 days the car would not start on occasion and cut off while driving. I delivered the car back to the dealership and now they are telling me it's the EIS ignition switch which needs to be replaced for $1140.00 and they tell me this had nothing to do with programming of the key...
Has anyone encountered this or give me suggestions?
Thanks in advance

Old 09-01-2007, 11:43 AM
Default RE: EIS Replacement after the dealership programmed new key

Hiu,

The ignition key "converses" with the EIS as a security system.

If this conversation doesn't occur correctly the engine will not start etc. The conversation requires the key to be correctly programmed to match the EIS.

You don't provide any vehicle history nor whether the old key still works etc.

EIS is usually very reliable but key programming appears to create a lot of problems especially in the States where the dealership structure is very different to that in Europe.

Can't advise whether the EIS is at fault but it could be.

Get the dealer to provide you with a STAR diagnostics report that points to the EIS being at fault. If they are not prepared to do this I think I would get the Service Manager or whoever involved to determine why.

Remain polite but put your case and insist on a STAR diagnostics hard copy report

Key question is on what basis do they conclude that the EIS is at fault and what is the specific fault that is alledged to have occurred to the EIS. What happens if they change the EIS and the fault remains. get this clear before you end up paying and discover the fault remains.

Good luck.

Stuart.

Old 09-01-2007, 03:13 PM

I had my EIS programmed as well, and the car doesn't start and cutts off on occation as well. Can you please let me know what helps you solve your problem!
Many Thanks!

Old 09-01-2007, 03:14 PM

oh and by the way, new EIS + programming would NOT cost that much.It should be in a ballpark of $700

Old 09-01-2007, 06:00 PM

Thank you for your information. I have requested from the Dealership the Star Diagnostic report. To answer a few of your questions. The car was taken in because the additional key ordered would start the car but the car could not be shifted to Drive or any other gear. The only other items during that time that were maintenanced were routine tune up items. No other issues exist with the car. The car is only 4 years old. Amazingly when I contacted the Dealership to request the report and elaborate on my strong suggestion that the programming of the key seems to have caused the issue, the cost is now $800.00 (the explanation of that was there was a $250 credit to return the old key to the manufacturer (which was NEVER mentioned before)and a 15% discount on top of that HUH......
I was told over the phone ( and am still waiting for the report) that it was reading several codes and it's taken 4 days just to get to this diagnosis.

Old 09-02-2007, 12:22 AM

Hi,
I'm interested in seeing how this pans out and what action the dealership eventually takes.
You don't explain what happened to the old (original?) key or give vehicle model / mileage details which will fill in a few more holes.
Don't forget when agreeing any "bill" that you have already paid for a new key / EIS programming once so I would expect this to be waived a second time because the original procedure, or diagnosis was wrong.
Dealerships appear to change parts and then expect the customer to pay for work that may not have been required.
MB labour rates are high because are supposedly highly trained and have access to special equipment in order to go straight to the problem.
You shouldn't have to pay for incorrect diagnosis because they don't understand the problem.
MB dealerships are able to speak directly with the factory and get the experience of the manufacturer.
Thats why I am interested so that we can learn the solution to "difficult", often software related, issues.
Please confirm this is a genuine MB dealership, using genuine MB parts, with STAR diagnositics rather than an "enthusiastic" independent garage.

Diagnosing this type of problem on modern cars is OFTEN beyond the expertise of independent garages since they don't have STAR which is designed specifically to interogate MB digital electronics to point the techs in the right direction.
Without STAR you have to take a "change units out" approach and see what happens. Can be very expensive and using non MB parts introduces even moredifficult to resolve issues.

Stuart.

Old 09-02-2007, 07:46 AM

The original key I still have (actually that was the key I was using when the car initially began with the issue) I just needed another key for my wife for convenience. When she used her key she experienced the same issue with the car cutting off.
S430
2003 / 78,000 m

Old 09-02-2007, 07:50 AM

B.T.W. it is a Mercedes-Benz Dealership.

Old 09-03-2007, 02:44 AM

Hi,
Problem Description is all important in matters like this.

You associated the problem with the new key / trip to the dealer BUT you now state that the old key had the problem also....before the trip to the dealer?

So maybe we are talking about a problem that has nothing to do with the EIS. Other issues can cause an engine to cut out, and potentially be difficult to restart immediately.

Maybe you can clarify the Problem Description since I'm no longer sure of the facts.

Stuart.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:43 AM

Sorry, The "initial issue" statement was the issue with the car cutting off during route AFTER my wife’s key was programmed.
* Had car in for general mileage service 8/27 (and wife’s key programmed) never had an issue with my key just needed an additional key
* Picked car up that afternoon
* 8/29 car wont start - wait a few minutes - car starts later in the afternoon car cuts off (my key)
* 8/30 car cuts off while driving in the a.m. (my key)
* 8/30 car cuts off while my wife is driving in the p.m. (wife's key)
* 8/31 take the car back into the dealership and that's when it's revealed the EIS is the issue

Quick Reply: EIS Replacement after the dealership programmed new key