Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums

Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/)
-   Mercedes S Class (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/mercedes-s-class-11/)
-   -   2000 s500 speedometer (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/mercedes-s-class-11/2000-s500-speedometer-20812/)

604benz 06-06-2007 01:38 PM

2000 s500 speedometer

Hello,
My speedometer stops working after 5 minutes of driving it stays on zero everything else in the cluster works is there a sensor or fuse i need to check, any suggestions appreciated thanks.

ARMENDS500 06-06-2007 01:56 PM

RE: 2000 s500 speedometer

bring it to the dealer, they should fix it for
free, they extended the warranty on the clusters.

604benz 06-06-2007 03:41 PM

Mercedes Benz USA said the cluster recall was only for clusters that lights went out, the only thing on mine that dont work is the speedo needle.

ARMENDS500 06-06-2007 04:57 PM

i dont remember it being specific to the lighst only,
could also be you vss or the gauge it self is bad.
i am not sure where the vss is located though.

II Kings 9:20 06-06-2007 10:25 PM

The recall is for the instrument cluster which would include the speedo. My extended warranty letter which I just read again from MB says nothing about lights, it's for the entire cluster. This extended warranty is no different than if the speedo stopped working after the first week of ownership when new. That's how I read the letter. Call MB USA again and speak to a different clerk.

snanceki 06-07-2007 01:29 AM

Hi,
The recall was initiated due to a poor internal connection causing display segments not to illuminate.
Whether the recall can be interpretted to include a faulty speed gauge I cannot determine. I would guess not.
The cluster fault is only on recall in the USA (in my view due to your liability laws) since the problem occurs worldwide and is NOT on recall elsewhere!
In fact MB try to cover issues like this by stating they are USA specific!!

Does your Cruise continue to work?
Does your trip Computer (average speed) continue to work?

I predict (subject to the answer to the previous questions) that the speed sensor (common to many systems e.g.ABS, EPS, Cruise, Auto locking, Airmatic, PAS etc) is working (i.e. Cruise continues to work). The speed signal comes from sensors in all four wheels but only one of these (the FRH I think) is used for vehicle rather than wheel speed.
In which case it is likely the speedo cluster gauge that is defective (dependent upon whether the av speed is still working)
If the av speed is not working then it is likely a communication (digital) issue internal (or possibly external) to the cluster.

Helpful?

Stuart

Michaelqc 09-22-2020 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by 604benz (Post 76137)
Hello,
My speedometer stops working after 5 minutes of driving it stays on zero everything else in the cluster works is there a sensor or fuse i need to check, any suggestions appreciated thanks.

please respond