Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

1995 S420 Sabatoge by mechanics shop? Plz advise

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 09:53 PM
Default 1995 S420 Sabatoge by mechanics shop? Plz advise

This post is to find out if the mechanics shop that I took my Mercedes too failed to fix my vehicle the 'correct' way.

1995 Mercedes S420, 203k miles. It was running great when I took it in for a standard oil change. Get it done, I pull out, drive home, as I get off the freeway and come to a stop, I am attacked by a cloud of smoke that was following me for who knows how long.

I take it back, they tell me I need too replace my Valve Cover Gaskets, which are leaking oil. I leave my car for a couple days, I call in they say its running great and to pick it up. As soon as I start my car, its making a horrible rattling sound and clicking and tapping, they tell me I need a new tensioner and idler pulley, I leave it AGAIN.

I come back a week later to find my car "ready" as usual... I start it up, barely get out of the shops parking lot when I have a horrible time accelerating.. The vehicle will only shift from one gear to the next, when moving at normal pace, the entire vehicle would shake and studder horribly bogging out when I give it gas. Literally couldnt even accelerate unless I was at a dead stop. If I tried to move while cruising it would just bog, unless I barely touched the peddle it would not accelerate.

I am furious at this point

I call the corporate office, they tell me "they will take a look" so I drop the car off AGAIN. They call me a couple hours later and say come and get it, you'll love the way it drives.

They replaced the spark plugs as courtesy, and tell me that my wires and distributor are bad
I think thats all balloney about my plugs and wires, they quoted me $1000 to replace and sent me on my way.

NOW

the real major issue that I'm having, is the day I drove it out of the shop, I have been having serious white smoke trails on the freeway, but as soon as I stop the smoke trails completely disappear, pretty much anything over 2200 rpm's will leave smoke trails... If a mechanic can tell me they caused this issue from not installing or uninstalling parts of my car correctly it can greatly benefit me. Thank you!! -s420 Enthusiast

Old 06-07-2011, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

after the first or second time, it was best to not take to them. Could they have been doing stuff to your car? possibly. The sad part is they will deny it till they go into the grave and call it all coincidence. Maybe the stars aligned, the planets all eclipsed each other and two galaxies collided exacty at 1 mph exactly at 1203am and then your car started to fall apart all of a sudden. Proving otherwise in court will be killer. I'm no "certified" mechanic but I hope you can find one that will give you an honest shake and point out what they did and give written evidence and or statement.
You'll be surprised at what excuse they will come up with when your car was running perfect before they had it and all of a sudden it's goign to hell after they had it. If it was flipped, and you had one of their loaner cars, they would say you caused the damage and thier main defense would be, it was running fine when you had it and now it's broke when you brought it back. What a hell of a double standard.

Old 06-11-2011, 02:04 PM

The first thing i would do is go to the shop and have them drain all the oil out of the engine (this is where you problem started) then refill it with 8 quarts of 20/50 castrol.
I believe that they have to much oil in the engine. This will cause the smoke,loss of power. If you check the dip stick it will show level to be ok but it can very well be over filled. This happened to me. do not start car until this is checked. If it is over filled you are taking a chance of causing damage to the engine. example blow out front or rearmain seal.