Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

1988 560 SEL A/C not blowing

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 07:55 PM
Default 1988 560 SEL A/C not blowing

Hi all! I'm new here. I was just handed down my grandfather's '88 560 SEL as a college graduation gift. It is only my second car and I'm not too savvy with cars in general, but I'm looking to learn as I love this car and am hoping I can make it last a long time.

The problem is the A/C. I live in LA and, for the summer at least, I need cold air circulating when I'm driving. Otherwise the heat is pretty unbearable. There is no air blowing out of any of the vents at all on any setting. It won't even blow recycled air.

My grandfather swears that the A/C was fully functional, but my grandmother says that they never used the A/C in any form. I tend to believe my grandmother over him because he is unusually stubborn to the point of continuing to hold beliefs that have been proven wrong.

I'd prefer to fix the car myself because I am short on money. I'd also like to develop an understanding of the car, including being able to repair it in the future; basically, I am eager to learn. However, as I am inexperienced here, perhaps I'd be better off taking it to a professional? I don't want to accidentally damage the car in any form.

Essentially, I have the service manual for the W126 series and was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what is physically causing this/if they believe I could fix it myself without having to take it in. Also, if I take it in for repairs, would it be rude/annoying to ask to watch the mechanic or ask for a walkthrough of what the mechanic is doing to the car?

Thanks all in advance.

Old 07-06-2017, 01:38 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum! Congrats on graduating as well! I'm attaching a link below to our site's DIY tech articles on the W126 platform (there are a couple on the A/C as well), this will greatly help you learn about the car and solve any issues that you may have. Since you're not too familiar, I would have someone help you with these fixes until you understand the platform more. Please let us know if you have any questions or need help with parts.

Mercedes-Benz S-Class W126 (1981-1991) Technical Articles - Pelican Parts