Mercedes M Class Mercedes ML350 and Mercedes ML500 SUV's.

Travel Trailer towing

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 12:40 PM
Default Travel Trailer towing

Hi all,

As a new member to this forum, I am not sure if this subject has been discussed before, and if so please excuse me for repeating it.

Can anyone share his/her knowledge, or perhaps their first-hand experiences, about (any) trailer towing with their ML320?

Other than observing GVWR and GTW rating limit I want to learn just about everything else that is not mentioned in the Owners' Manual.

I own a 2000 ML320 as the original owner, the vehicle is very lightly driven (only to run errands and occasionally recreational trips but never off-roaded). I am thinking getting a travel trailer and using my ML320 as the tow vehicle. This will be a replacement for my Class-C motor home that I recently got rid of. I have zero towing experience to speak of - not even a small utility trailer or a light duty bike trailer. I would like to know what I am getting myself into before commit into such an investment. Any insight you can share with me is appreciated.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:33 AM

Hi specware,
I don't know how big of a trailer are you thinking of to get but I use my ML320 to haul full size cars, some times by using two wheel car dolly some times full 2 axle trailer. I was going to upgrade my ML with the larger Brembo brake set as in ML55 but found out that the originals are just fine. I installed the OEM Oris hitch on my ML right after I bought it, about 3 years ago, including side frame corner brackets and electrical harness.
I also use my ML to plow snow (hitch mounted heavy all steel plow) with no problems.
I can't even count the 14' boat and utility trailer with ATV on it because you don't even feel them there when you driving.
European towing capacity for 163 ML is rated even higher then US, so if you go by the weight rating in the manual (5,000 lbs.) or on your hitch label, you will be fine.
Good luck,
Bernard

Old 05-20-2010, 12:26 PM
Default RE: Travel Trailer Towing - continue

I am glad to hear your comments, mbenz80. I have almost forgotten about my posting...

The trailer I am thinking of would be something under 21' in length, 5000lbs in GTW, dual-axle. I haven't seriously look yet but given this strict spec. I am afraid the options in the market is rather limited.

Somewhere somehow I heard that short wheel based tow vehicle is not suitable for towing longer/larger trailers. My M-320 wheel base looks pretty short (comparing to a trailer longer than 20') to me, would that be a problem? Otherwise, from your comments I am very excited about this prospect of towing a mobile home behind the car I really love around the country!!

Old 05-20-2010, 05:42 PM

I never heard of the wheel base lenght effect but I know ML320 is very heavy compare to other SUVs of the same size. Bouncing effect therefor is minimal plus every trailer is weight balanced to axles as close as possible by the manufacturer and they would state the tongue weight on it.
Maybe someone with more towing experience will reply to your thread since I'm enjoying my ML320 for 3 years only.
Bernard

Old 06-11-2010, 12:27 PM

Hi Bernard (mbenz80)

I urgently need your feedback from your experiences in towing using your ML320. Please reply if you can - tks.

I have a 2000 ML320 with a 5000lb hitch (draw tite) and want to tow a UHaul auto carrier (4 wheel trailer having the A4 fully on the trailer). The trailer curb weight is 2,210lbs. The A4 curb weight is 3,649. Total is 5,859 lbs. I'm a very experienced driver with trailers when I worked for a tree service company driving a large box truck and chipper behind.

Is it doable to tow this A4? I don't know of a heavier duty hitch I can buy for the ML. The ML 320 is rated to tow (in the US) 5000lbs (in europe it's something like 7,000lbs).

You write you have towed cars also on full car carriers, did you find the ML could easily handle it? What did you tow?

Granted the ML is said to be rated to tow 5,000lbs but I'm confident it can certainly do more. The hitch is also rated at 5000lbs but can also likely certainly do more.

Please - I would very much appreciate your feedback. Anyone's input having experience towing heavy cargo with an ML320 would be appreciated

tks
Michael

Last edited by Autobahner; 06-11-2010 at 09:29 PM.