Mercedes M Class Mercedes ML350 and Mercedes ML500 SUV's.

MY 2006 ML 500 letters written / testimonial

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 09:32 AM
Default MY 2006 ML 500 letters written / testimonial

Hello,

This is my first post and it's rather lengthy. After reading all of the issues about the ML's I felt it was only fair to share my story and the letters that I have sent to mercedes.

__________________________________________________ _____________________________

August 18, 2007

Dr. Dieter Zesche
Chairman of the Board of Management DaimlerChrysler
Head of Mercedes Car Group

To Dr. Zesche:

I am writing to express EXTREME disappointment in my 2006 ML 500 VIN: 4JGBB755E56XXXXXX. I am twenty-seven years old and was able to finally obtain my dream car, a Mercedes SUV. Three-times this week, this vehicle has caused me to be stranded. On Sunday, August 11th…my Command Center indicated that it would shut-off in 3 minutes…low battery voltage. I parked the car and tried to restart it and it would not start. I called 24-hour roadside and they came in 1 hour. They charged my battery and told me to drive it for 30 minutes. I drove home and on Wednesday, August 15th, my car would not start again. I had to wait two-hours for 24-hour roadside to arrive this time. Road-side assistance put a new battery in. I went on about my day on Thursday and as I was on the interstate the battery indicator came on and said “visit workshop.” I immediately called Mercedes of South Atlanta to let my service advisor know that I was on the way because the battery indicator light came on and I was afraid that if I cut my car off, it would not cut back on. I never made it to the dealership, because my car stopped in the middle of a six-lane interstate. I could not roll down the windows or have air on because of the battery. I also could not open the doors without being hit by other traffic. Needless to say…it was 105 degrees that day. I contacted roadside and had to sit in my HOT 2006 ML 500 for 1 hour until a wrecker came. I have been very disappointed and inconvenienced severely. I have had to also visit the dealership’s service department 3 times within the past 2 months for brake lights going out. There seems to be several problems with this car.

I am very afraid that this car will give me many more problems. I am a single mother with a 2 year old son. I was on my way to get my son on that 105 degree day and was very lucky that he was not in the car. I purchased this vehicle after my 2004 Nissan Maxima was totaled. I was given the impression that it would be dependable and almost trouble free because of the name that Mercedes stands for. I had never had these types of problems with other cars that I have owned. I also must add that the Navigation system in the Mercedes is “shabby.” Take a look at Nissan’s or Land Rover’s. They have much better navigational systems. Futhermore, a Mercedes salesman told me that I should not have purchased ANY Mercedes SUV, because they are made in Alabama and the quality isn’t as good.

My warranty is up in approximately 3,000 miles. I would either like for you all to purchase this car back from me at what I paid for it, give me a free extended warranty or replace the vehicle as well as compensate me for my time and all of my inconvenience. I look forward to hearing from you very soon.

January 23, 2008

Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC
1 Mercedes Drive
Tuscaloosa, AL 35490

Dear Head of Mercedes Group (ML’s):

I am writing to again express EXTREME disappointment in my 2006 ML 500 VIN: 4JGBB755E56XXXXX (for your reference, my previous letter is attached). I am twenty-seven years old and was able to finally obtain my dream car, a Mercedes SUV.
This is my second letter that I have had to send in regarding the poor quality of this car. My ML has 57,000 miles on it. I purchased it when it had 35,000 miles on it. This is the 3rd car I have ever owned. The others were a brand new Honda Civic and a brand new Nissan Maxima. I have never experienced the type of problems with any vehicle that I have had with my Mercedes. My previous vehicles had over 110,000 miles each on them. I recently did a little research and all over Mercedes forum and mbworld.org owners have experienced similar problems as well as dissatisfaction with their ML’s (2006). A frequent and common problem that has come up is that of the power steering. I took my car in for its Service A and because I was hearing squeaking and knocking when stopping and turning. However, the only indicator lights that came on were the service A and coolant level. I took my car into Mercedes of South Atlanta. I had the service A completed and the service advisor called me to stated the car had a lot of problems. One of the problems that advisor mentioned was the radiator having a leak, so he recommended replacing the radiator cap for $76.00. I went ahead with that. Also, he recommended having the front pads redone and something done to the rotors as well as repasting the back pads all for $720.00. This is a stiff price for a minor brake job and seems to be too soon to have anything done to the rotors. He also stated that the power steering pump was leaking and stated the cost was $1,050. The service advisor also stated that he discussed it with his manager and they would be willing to pay half of the cost. That raises a red flag in itself. If Mercedes is willing to pay for half, you all know that there is a problem with the quality. You all should check out the numerous complaints about the power steering alone on the forums. This goes to show that I am not alone. The service advisor also recommended replacing the expansion tank cap and if I didn’t do anything about the power steering problem, I could end up on the side of the road. That’s a lot of work for a 2006 Mercedes with only 57,000 miles on it. The only work ever needed in my Honda and Nissan were oil changes, brake pads and regular servicing. I have already replaced the battery in the key and it has indicated that I need to do it again. I just had it done in July. Sometimes, my front lights go out without the indicator stating anything. I feel very unsafe driving this car now knowing the problems that it’s having as well as the problems that it has had in the past. I strongly believe that this particular vehicle is a lemon and would like some sort of compensation, replacement and/or my money back. I am a single parent and work as an assistant principal at a private high school and would like to have a dependable vehicle. I am in great fear as to what else is to come. This car has let me down too many times before. Obviously my Mercedes, ML 500 is not safe or dependable. I have attached some documentation. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:16 AM
Default RE: MY 2006 ML 500 letters written / testimonial

Have you gotten a response yet?

Old 02-13-2008, 10:06 AM

Yes, I have gotten a response. Basically they stated that the repair are my responsibility since the car is out of warranty.

I took the car to another dealer and they said nothing was wrong with the power steering and stated the left side valve cover was leaking. That's ashame I had to get a second opionion. This repair was much cheaper.

Now I have another issue. My navigation stopped working. Dealer checked it and stated that there are "hard codes" coming back and when they unhooked it and plugged it back in it started working again. However when I picked the car up, it wasn't working. They said the unit needs to be replaced and quoted me $1,500. I've never experienced these types of problems with my nissan or honda. I've learned my lesson. Never purchase vehicles that are made in Alabama...a Mercedez salesman told me that.

I feel like I have basically gotten no where.

Old 02-13-2008, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry about your bad experiennces, I think the ML is one of few the exceptions to high quality. Ever since it came out in the 90's it's been rated unreliable. But I don't understand why you continued to drive the ML. It's a lot better to find out what is causingthe problem and fix itor you will run into the same problem again and again. When the first time the command center shut off the vehicle it would have been wise to at least find out why before having someone simplifythe issue to a battery.
Have you considered trading the vehicle in for something else? The GL has gotten fantastic reviews and the diesel variant should be exceptionally reliable.

Old 03-29-2008, 04:33 PM

i saw a commerical for some lawyer leaches that represent themselves as "lemon law lawyers".. call them at 800-lemon-law... i think that's their number

let us know if you got any satisfaction from the lawyers or MBUSA